The battle of the homecoming dress

So 15 yo DD's homecoming is this Saturday and she has her dress and everything all set. I helped her pick it out and thought it was really cute. Well now dad has seen it and says no way is she wearing that dress. It is on the short side, but not that short. It took awhile to find something for her in the first place because she is so picky. She refuses to even consider wearing something different. So now they are fighting about it. Ugghh way to take something fun and turn it into a fight. He told her if she doesn't pick another dress, she's not going.

My question is, what can I do to come to a compromise on this? Its to the point where we may not even be able to find another dress in time.
How do you find compromise in your family?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:03 AM on Oct. 14, 2009 in General Parenting

• Well in my family if we had this situation it would go something like this.
    Dad- "she's not wearing it"
    Me- "yes she is because I said so"
    Dad- "yes dear"

Probably not what you were looking for but that compromise in our house.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 10:17 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• lol yeah thats how things work in my house also...haha its great
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:35 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• If he is concerned with how short the dress is she could wear some cool colorful tights under the dress. this way she is not exposing so much skin. It might just be enough for Dad to be satisfied.
    KatWW

Answer by KatWW at 10:41 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• Maybe he would be ok with it if she wore colored panty hose or granny type colored panties. That way if her skirt were lifted nothing would show. It would be more coverage than an swim suit. He may even compromise with bikini panties. I can see his point if she was going to wear a thong.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:43 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• Someone else had the same idea while I was typing!
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:44 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• I would buy some material and sew it on to the bottom of the dress to extend the length. You don't need to be an expert seamstress to do this (I can barely sew and have had to this for my d). I am very particular about modesty as well and think you should err on the side of the more conservative parent. I think anything else would be disrespectful to your h and he is only looking after the well being of your daughter. It sends the wrong mesage to your d if you two are not on the same pg about this.
    momrocks1000

Answer by momrocks1000 at 11:10 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• Don't have a daughter yet, but we are both pretty reasonable. When I was growing up, EVERYTHING had to be approved by dad, and what dad said, went (even when my mother didn't like something or thought it was too mature). But the check happened the day we came home from the store so he knew what things looked like and we had time to go back if it didn't work. Sounds like you and her father need to have a little private discussion, if he wants that kind of say, he needs to go shopping with her. And, well, she is 15. Isn't she old enough to pick out a dress for a dance by herself? (not everyday clothing, but a dress for a dance?)
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 11:33 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• You mention that it's on the short side but then say but not that short. Which is it? Is it short or not? Personally if she's 15 and it's on the short side she should be looking for something else. This is daddy's little girl going to her first big dance. I've seen some of the dresses and many are way to short for the girl that wears it because she has longer legs then the next girl who's shorter. This is a problem that my neice has as she's 15 and is 5' 10" tall and it's almost all leg and yet the same dress looks great on her sister who's 18 and 5' 7".

baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 11:58 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• in my house it would be.mom-no way is she wearing that-dad ya it looks cute on her----that night-shes wearing it.....
    nana77500

Answer by nana77500 at 12:01 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• "Well in my family if we had this situation it would go something like this.
    Dad- "she's not wearing it"
    Me- "yes she is because I said so"
    Dad- "yes dear" "

My house, too...

Answer by rkoloms at 1:11 PM on Oct. 14, 2009