My 3 yr old son has been "zoning out" at school during class time. Every other part of his behavior is normal. Should I be concerned?

His teacher said that when they are coloring he has recently started daydreaming and coloring without really paying attention. She will have him sit until he has finished the assignment and he is the last one. He has excelled prior to this and is sharp as a whip at home.

ilovoemybubboe

Asked by ilovoemybubboe at 10:07 AM on Oct. 14, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Your 3 year old is going to school with classes and zoning out. That's because 3 year olds are not developmentally old enough to go to "school" or have classes. Kids aren't ready until somewhere between the age of 7 and 12. That is part of the reason many states do not mandate school until a child is 7.

The age has gotten younger because people want kids to start earlier and they want what amounts to PA day care.

Sending your child to school at too young of an age can cause damage. Let him be a toddler at home.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:21 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• Thank you Gailll. It is a home babysitter actually. They color and learn about numbers and letters for the first few hours of the day and then the rest of the time is playing and socializing singing and dancing.

He has always spaced out a little when in a non stimulating environment but at school this behavior is new and unlike him. She called it "dumbing down" . I think he is bored. When he is home he wants to play school and we get the dry erase bored out and he draws and tries to write for me and pretends I am his teacher. He loves it

Trust me if I could afford to be home with him during the day and let him be my sweet boy then I would.
    ilovoemybubboe

Answer by ilovoemybubboe at 10:34 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• Sending him to school at this age will NOT cause damage!!! That is so stupid!

Sending him to school at this age is not necessary...but it's not damaging.

If you have concerns, you should be speaking to your pediatrician.

Learning numbers and letters for a "few hours" is age appropriate for FOUR year olds. He should be playing and learning at HIS pace, not sitting in a class setting. (my opinion)
    Anonymous

• We dont all have the luxury of staying at home with our children. My son attends daycare and loves it. They play A LOT, but they also have circle time where they read books, talk about the weather, shapes, etc. That is certainly not going to damage him!

Anyways, if you are worried talk to your child's doctor. Sounds pretty normal to me, but you and your child's doctor know your LO much better than I do!
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 1:09 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• I would agree with Gailll. Before Kinder focused on socializing and having play centers. Now they need to leave kinder reading! The problem with that is damaging (sorry anon) because many children continue on with school with little or no social skills (unless their daycare or preschool focused only on social skills).

As for the babysitter working on number n colors..that's fine. But if he's tuning out, then tell her to STOP and have him go back to his work when he's ready. You don't want him to be uninterested in schooling. He will feel it's boring before he starts kinder. I'm sure your son is very bright but as a former teacher, tell your babysitter to limit his "school-time" since it's not beneficial to him by having him sit down for such a long period of time (hence the daydreaming).
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 3:36 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• The attention span of a child that young is very small. So they need lots of breaks in between activities and shorter work time and if he daydreams....that is NOT a bad thing. It means he's creative and probably very intelligent. I wouldn't force him to do something mundane like coloring when he might be dreaming of curing cancer or something significant in life.

Answer by admckenzie at 3:52 PM on Oct. 14, 2009