When should a girl see the gynoclogist for the first time?

I am wondering when I should make my daughter an appointment to see the gynocologist. When did you first go? At what point will you take your daughter? If she has normal periods do you wait until birth control is a possible issue?

My mom never took me, and never mentioned it either (she never talked to me about my period or sex or anything either - I am trying to do better with my daughter). My mom still never goes even though my sister and I have tried to convince her it is important....but that's a whole different topic!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:27 AM on Oct. 14, 2009 in Kids' Health

• The general rule is when they become sexually active or at 18. It is imperative to talk to your daughter about STD's early. One time having sex with an infected person could change her life. So start the dialogue early.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 10:31 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• I would take her after her first period. I didn't go until my dad wanted me to get on birth control (16yrs)
    I would have liked to go before, but my dad wasn't hip on women things.
    LuvMyBoyzz

Answer by LuvMyBoyzz at 10:30 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• TELL UR MOM SHE NEEDS TO GO GET CHECKED ALL VAG. LOOK THE SAME TO THE DOCTOR...I pray there is nothing going on down there but she needs to double check.

Try taking her brochures or print out pictures for her of the anatomy of the female body (the vaginal part) that way she can have an idea...you need to make her GO!!!

It is really no big deal...MOM what does she have a gold vag.?....lol she is afraid they might take it away...lol You need to stop being so shy or not care. Let it go Mom.

I am sorry I got off the subject about the daughter thing but yes after her first period or if they become sexaully active take her often. GL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:34 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• I think families should have family practice docs. That way the doc gets to know the whole family. Of course they can do pelvic exams and pap smears.

Going to the gyn is kind of scary no matter how old you are.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:36 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• as soon as she has her first period, or if she does not have it by age 14 (late bloomers are not so common anymore, but diseases like Turners Syndrome could be the culprit)

my mum never talked about such things, and let me figure it out by myself- that is NOT going to happen to my DD (or my sons- they deserve the same knowledge)

it is best to grow accustomed to such visits as a normal course of events, and not treat them differently than any other preventative Dr. visit.

personally, having had children as young as i have, my DD will be on BC as soon as is possible. i would not trade any of them for the world, but i also realize the opportunities that have been missed. i absolutely want her to make informed decisions, not just about BC, but safer sex, and comprehend the risks involved.
    enlisting a GYN to help along the process, seems the most normal course of events.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:38 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• Unless she has really bad and painfull periods OR if she's sexually active, there is no reason for a girl to go see a GYN untill age 18. After that age I do recomend paps
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:39 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• I went to the GYN once I started having my period.
    manderjane

Answer by manderjane at 12:04 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• When she is 16 or becomes sexually active (whichever comes first). If you have a family doctor, it will be less traumatic...

Answer by rkoloms at 1:36 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• when the become sexually active, i became active at 15 but i dont gotilll i was 18, i thinkmy mom was indenial. i was married at 18. so i went to so what bc would be right for me
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 3:31 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• I would say by the time she is 16 or sexually active. It wouldn't be a bad idea to have a pelvic done after her first period, just to make sure she is growing properly. I was 13 when I had my first pelvic exam, about 6 months after I got my period. It was explained very well to me, so I wasn't freaked out.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:18 PM on Oct. 14, 2009