More sick kids or more overreacting thanks to the news?

Our local news has been hitting the swine flu coverage pretty hard lately. I think it's mostly because a few of the high school football teams have been hit with it, and it's screwing up their seasons. They had a story this morning about absences in local schools, saying normally the local districts avg 5-6% absenteeism this time of year, and right now it's around 10%. Sounds drastic, except when you figure most of our schools have about 700 kids - so they've gone from 42 kids out sick across k-6 per school to 70. That still works out to about 2 kids per class. They finally admitted that most school districts won't even notify parents of an illness or consider shutting down until they have twice that at least, but they also interviewed parents who are "afraid" to send their kids to school because of the flu.

So how many of those 4% are sick and how many are "afraid"?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 11:05 AM on Oct. 14, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• No swine flu cases in my DD school, or in any school in her district. I think it's neet that they have huge hand sanitizer stations all over the hallways at her school. The kids are great at staying germ free. I am not scared at all.

I think they are making a big deal out of it because they made so many vaccines for it. They want to freak people out & get the vaccine & make money. I even heard on the news that A LOT of parents are not getting it for their children. So, they have to try & scare people into getting it.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:42 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• NP,
    It is really that bad. Everyone I know IRL is sick. EVERYONE. Some have it bad, some don't.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:13 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• So far, we've been very lucky. But I do know that they have confirmed cases of h1n1 at the elementary school that I went to. It's very small and in a rural area in Missouri.

I think the biggest problem is that parents send their kids to school when they are sick. There are kids with fevers getting off the bus. That's a problem.

Anyway, it seems to be that bad. I am SOO thankful that my daughters school is really big on handwashing. So far none of the kids have gotten sick.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 11:21 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• My eldest daughter was out for 5 days at the beginning of Sept with it and it wasn't a big deal. Several other kids at her school had it too. Now my other kids finally have it. My 9 yr old is the most miserable so we took her to the doc for her dizziness. She was positive for influenza A, we're on day 4 and she's pretty miserable still. A lot of kids at her school have been sick and no one is making a big deal out of it. Parents figure their kids are going to get sick eventually so keeping them home from school won't change that. Parents have to understand that unless the whole family lives in a bubble, the kids will get sick. I can go to the store and be exposed to it and then bring it home to the rest of the family.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 11:31 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• The seasonal flu and H1N1 is all over this part of the country now. We won't be doing much visiting out of town for a while. Schools in other counties are having to close, granted they are small so it only takes so many students out before there is not point but it's still scary. Now people are healthy and not even in the high risk group are getting it and spending a month or more in the hospital all but comatose and not expected to survive. At this point, I don't see how a rational, logical, sane person can still go on about how it's not dangerous.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:32 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• I don't think the flu is any worse this year than the last. I don't see the big deal with swine flu either. Many people die from the regular flu every year, but this year the new disease is swine flu. I will not get the vaccine nor will my son. I get strep throat about twice a year and I'm still not scared to go places. I do however sanitize things like shopping carts and door handles religiously. Not because I'm aftraid of getting sick, but because some people are just gross.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 11:35 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• All 3 of my children contacted the H1N1 last week. My oldest had it develop in to bronculitus. No I do not think they are over reacting. This is a really serious illness time.
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 11:43 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• I think it depends on where you are. Where I live we have had very few cases and it has already moved on. (that have been reported I guess) But over in MO. they have a few counties that are closing down school districts due to the flu. I think the important thing to remember is that the media is suppose to inform the public. Not send the country in a state of panic..even though I think it is doing just that. If you are in a school district that has an outbreak take the proper percussion that you feel is best for your family, and go from there. I remind my daughter everyday, before she goes to school, not to eat or drink after anyone, and wash them hands good all through out the day. So much that she now says " yes yes mom, i know, i don't want to get the swine flu"
    LilCaprica

Answer by LilCaprica at 11:52 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• I think part of the absenteeism may be schools encouraging parents to be 'cautious.' I know in our area, it's normally considered okay to send kids to school with a runny nose or mild cough- typical 'cold' symptoms that a lot of young kids have on and off all winter. Right now they are sending those kids home.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 2:14 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• I live in a small town and its everywhere. DD is home with swine flu. I don't have insurance, but I'm sick as well. I called her daycare to let her know she won't be in, they said that she was the 5th child in her class of 13 to call in this week, I called yesterday. Tuesday night they all stayed late and did some deep germ cleaning in an effort to hopefully stop the spread of the flu, but we'll see.
    Jafra_mommy

Answer by Jafra_mommy at 3:22 PM on Oct. 14, 2009