When was it decided and who decided that sportsmen, such as football players, are not to be role models for young people?!

This makes me so angry, these men go to jail for all kinds of things, and they still get to play pro sports! Mostly I'm talking about Michael Vic, who is a coward! The other people are just as bad. Sports players are supposed to be people that children and teens can look up to.

mandielynn23

Asked by mandielynn23 at 11:36 AM on Oct. 14, 2009 in Entertainment

• Football team owners just want to make the big bucks and build their own egos through winning games so the morals of most of their members don't matter to them. My family only watches tv the few times before superbowl and sometimes that day. Put your kids in community service groups to have a worthwhile hero.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 11:41 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• Athletes and celebrities have been treated like gods for so long that they think they can do whatever they want and they are basically right. Actors get a slap on the wrist for driving under the influence of drugs and alcohol, football players like the one mentioned in the OP can do horribly cruel things to animals and jump right back into playing after a not long enough prison sentence. It's a disgrace.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:45 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• Why should we tell our kids to look up to professional athletes? I've never encouraged my kids to look up to athletes or any other celebrities. Athletes are usually genetic freaks. In college I worked at the student health center of a Big Ten university. I've touched athletes from all kinds of sports.

Almost all of their time and energy is devoted to playing a sport. Why would you want your child looking up to that kind of person?
    Anonymous

• "Athletes are usually genetic freaks. In college I worked at the student health center of a Big Ten university. I've touched athletes from all kinds of sports.
    Almost all of their time and energy is devoted to playing a sport. Why would you want your child looking up to that kind of person? "

anon...your an idiot. I do take offense to that statement. My husband was an athlete in college who had a chance to go further, but made the choice to go on in school and get his MBA. He is not a genetic freak. However, if he was to go on in sports (like professional), of coarse they would devote all their time and energy to that sport b/c i'ts their career.

We do not teach our child to look up to sports figures. We teach our child to look up to poeple who follow their dreams with commitment, pride, honor, and integrity. Sports, politics, business...all careers have their idiots that should not be admired.
    citymama707

Answer by citymama707 at 12:23 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• When people like Micheal Vic come along, it's a great opportunity to teach our kids that those are the kinds of people who are using their money and fame for hurtful, selfish, and immoral values that we do not support. Then we point out the sports figures that are doing great things like public charities, fundraising for causes, volunteering their free time for a good cause or for their commmunity, using their money to help others, and using their fame to be a good influence. There are a lot more of these people in sports than the moronic Micheal Vics out there, but we, the general popluation are responsible for being interested in the good news or the trash like Micheal Vic by our actions. We've made it very clear in our household that people like Micheal Vic are not worth our time, and when we see him (not his team, just him) on tv, we turn the channel. We do not support him.
    citymama707

Answer by citymama707 at 12:30 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• Why should athletes be role models? Or entertainers? Why aren’t our role models teachers, activists, members of the clergy, etc.? Our society is so backwards!!!

Answer by rkoloms at 12:58 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• I personally don't believe sstars or entertainers should be role models...I think we as parent should be their #2 role model (in our house Christ is #1)...along with our church community,our service men and women, fire fighters, police, teachers and etc....being righ or being famous is not a reason to look up to a person.
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 1:23 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• *rich not righ
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 1:24 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• THE PARENTS are the ones who decide that pro athletes shouldn't be role models for their children. My son likes sports as much as the next kid but he doesn't idolize anyone but his father. His dad is the one who he will look up to to learn how to be a man. And for single moms, the kids will look up to their moms who work hard to raise their kids right. Most kids also have grandfathers and uncles, male friends of the family to look up to. Pro athletes don't seem to be the ideal choice these days.
    Anonymous

• We do not teach our child to look up to sports figures. We teach our child to look up to poeple who follow their dreams with commitment, pride, honor, and integrity. Sports, politics, business...all careers have their idiots that should not be admired.

^^^^THIS^^^
    Loryl

Answer by Loryl at 10:54 AM on Oct. 15, 2009