Is speaking to my son in two different languages delaying my three year old son talking in either of the languages?

Agnieszka607

Asked by Agnieszka607 at 11:39 AM on Oct. 14, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• No, I don't beleive so, I did the same to mine and they fluently learned both.

Answer by older at 11:40 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• no, not at all. i was born in germany and went to kindergarten there so i was speaking both english and german. the child may speak both languages in sentences, but thats ok. it doesnt hurt anything. you may want to work with him one on one to try to teach him that it is 2 diff languages.
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 11:43 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• I got my BA in Spanish with a focus on Hispanic Issues and Bilingualism. HELL NO! You go ahead and speak to him in 2 languages. Now, unless you live somewhere like Canada where 2 languages are used interchangeably then DS will maintain both. HOWEVER...
    If you live in the US and want him to maintain your mother tongue (Spanish, French, German) you need to speak to him only in that language and try to expose him to people around him that speak the language. He WILL learn English, with or without mom n dad. If he is exposed to the mother tongue only up until 5 yrs, he has more of a chance of retaining it rather than introducing him to 2 languages.

What languages do you want to teach him? And do the public schools in your area offer dual langauge programs to help maintain the mother tongue??
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 3:29 PM on Oct. 14, 2009