Is speaking to my three year old son in two different languages delaying his talking in either of the languages?

Agnieszka607

Asked by Agnieszka607 at 11:41 AM on Oct. 14, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I thought it was ideal to expose toddlers to other languages. In fact that is what one big daycare here offers, teachers who teach a second language and that is in every room.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 11:43 AM on Oct. 14, 2009

• I don't know. Is it?

Is he speaking? Does he have a delay?
    Anonymous

• I think it depends on your child. My friend speaks 3 languages to her kids and the 2 year old speaks as well as my 3 year old at times.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 12:16 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• No it's actually good for him.
    Even better would be if one parent spoke to him in only English and the other in only the other language.
    Anonymous

• no i speak too my daughter in spanish and english and she has a vocab that of a 4 yr old and she is 21/2. actually kids who are talk in two languages develop their vocab alot faster.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 12:18 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• from what i understand, though i don't have the research handy, children who are taught multiple languages from the beginning may take slightly longer to fully speak but it's not a noticable delay, and when they do start speaking they know more words. if i can get my hands on a study about this i'll send it to you.

my husband and i, along with daycare teachers, speak to my daughter in two languages and she is developing just fine, although all her words are still in our "primary" language (english).
    mellypoo

Answer by mellypoo at 12:34 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• Not at all. As a matter of fact, it will help his development. It is best for a child to learn a second language as a young child. At around 10 months of age a child can distinguish between 2 languages. It is easier for a child to learn a foreign language vs an teen or adult.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:58 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• Kids learn the most in their early years when their synapes are firing like crazy. This is the time for them to learn the easiest. the perfect time for the to learn more than on lang.
    taurusgirljp

Answer by taurusgirljp at 7:18 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• No, it is better for him to learn two different languages. He will not be slowed down, in fact he will learn to read faster than most kids because he is hearing the phonics and building blocks of the languages. The great thing is that young children learn languages much easier than older kids and adults becuase they don't translate the words in their mind, they just hear it and speak it without the filter of translating.
    mom2emily

Answer by mom2emily at 7:32 PM on Oct. 20, 2009