Do to rising gas prices have any of you quit working as an attempt to save money

I was only working part time and going to school full time while being pregnant and raising my 2 1/2 yo son. My husband picked up a second job to help offset some rising costs but my paychecks barely covered the gas we used. I have since quit my job and I am amazed at the money we spent. Just curious if anyone else has had a similar situation

Anubis8733

Asked by Anubis8733 at 10:30 AM on Jun. 24, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• It is surprising how much money you spend, not just on gas, but on things like childcare, clothes, make-up, hair, lunches, and extra things, like grabbing coffee or soda to go and grabbing carry-out on the way home. When you stay at home, if you're consciencious, you can save a lot by cooking more meals, and watching for sales. We asked my daughter to write down everything she spent, every penny, for 2 weeks. Then when we went over it with her, she found that it was costing her to go to work. so she quit her job, and they are now out of debt.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 11:56 AM on Jun. 24, 2008

• Your tax accountant will thank your or quitting. The extra taxes for your smaller income usually hurts working families. Thank your lucky charms!That you get to stay home for awhile. I am not working an intern job out fo town due to costs and I just quit a job with the state too-all traveling..
    lawandapam

Answer by lawandapam at 10:47 AM on Jun. 24, 2008

• Actually, I work full time and am trying to work MORE. Also DH is taking on "side construction jobs" in addition to his full time job so we can have extra money. Also we are trying to buy a home right now, so we need all we can get!
    Fawn80

Answer by Fawn80 at 2:00 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• You are not alone in this!!! It is soo sad that people are quiting their jobs to save money!!! It is ludicrous...We cannot afford to go to work...that is pathetic in the United States!! Pathetic! I am just glad that now you are home to enjoy your little ones more.  take care!
    MommasCooCoo

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 5:17 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• This issue is crazy, especially with the say that suburbs have become increasingly popular and people have to commute farther just to get to work.
    Anubis8733

Answer by Anubis8733 at 7:18 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• I just had this conversation with my husband the other night! I told him if I wasn't working for home right now and still working where I was a few years ago, I would have had to quit already due to the cost of gas!!

It really is insane!!

Lisa
    www.MomsGoneGreen.biz
    MomsGoneGreen

Answer by MomsGoneGreen at 10:43 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• I wouldn't save money if I quit my job. I have no choice but to make the hour commute to and from work. :( :(
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 5:31 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• no, we drive Hondas lol we save money on gas that way.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:13 AM on Jun. 27, 2008

• I made my husband quit back in March. We figured it up the other day and he would have been spending over 100 more than his paycheck was.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 11:11 AM on Jun. 27, 2008

• i cannot quit, i am the only income my kids have b/c their dad refuses to pay child support and keeps getting the court date put off so he doesn't have to pay. i have no choice, it costs me almost 2 days work now for gas for one week. what's the point, if it goes much higher then yes, i'd be better off staying home on welfare than working.
    phazed.0ut

Answer by phazed.0ut at 6:37 AM on Jun. 28, 2008