Would you read to or have your kids (ages 9-12) read books that teach them about world cultures?

Like books that take them to Japan, Russia, Ireland, here in the U.S. and even places like Atlantis. The books would teach them about that culture of that place and things you would find there. The book would be adventure and a learning experience. Like Dora the Explorer but more then just Mexico. I would like your feed back on this topic.

TashaNSayer

Asked by TashaNSayer at 12:04 PM on Oct. 14, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• I think it's a good idea. My son like Dora, Diego... and LOVES Ni-Hao Kai-Lan (I think that's how it's spelled, LOL) So now, He can count to 5 in Chinese thanks to that show.. He's learning his ABC's and 123's ion English, Spanish and Creole.
    LyTe684

Answer by LyTe684 at 12:08 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• Yes, it's a great idea!
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 2:11 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• Yeah I would let my kids read that stuff. I want them to be able to learn about all different cultures.
    fallnangel93

Answer by fallnangel93 at 2:13 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• Sure why not. Thats great.I think thats a good thing.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 5:13 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• I think it is a great idea, also I woulds have -------- night! If possible have the family dress in tradition garb, serve that country's food and use their type utensils. Chinese night,sweet and sour chicken or what ever, served at coffee table while sitting on the floor using chopsticks. Italian  night red checked tablecloth. You get the idea. Have your child do the research and help plan and cook. He will learn soooo much this way.

higherboundmom

Answer by higherboundmom at 9:54 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• Yes, I would. There is nothing wrong about knowing about different cultures, customes, worlds, etc. You could do so much, make a dish or dessert from the country you are reading about, do a craft from that country, learn a song or dance. You could even get a big world map and put a push pin where the country you are reading about is. You would also be teaching geography.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:06 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• You guys are great!!! A friend of mine and me are starting these books. I am doing research right now to find out what moms would want out of these books. You have gave me more ideas on this as well. Thanks, And please keep comments coming! We want these books to be fun and a learning experience! So we need to know what you as mothers want!
    I am a mother myself, and my daughter loves Dora and Diego! So thats why i came up with the idea!
    TashaNSayer

Answer by TashaNSayer at 8:28 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Yes it is a wonderful idea and like some one said expend the idea with recipes, crafts , a movie or just anything that will give them a taste pf the culture. If there is some thing you to not think the same way about you can always tell about why you think differently but also the importance of respecting other peoples beliefs.

Alieda

Answer by Alieda at 11:02 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Books and Local Festivals. Our family attends the local Japanese, Scottish and Irish Festivals each year. this year we will be attending a Greek festival as well. A more expensive option is visiting Disney World's Epcot Park! That is a lot of fun walking from country to Country. I love the idea of ___night! We may need to start one at our house! I also agree that movies and books are great as well. Check with your local bookstore for good recommendations for her age group.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:21 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• I think it's a wonderful idea. Also if your close to a city maybe attend cultural events. I was lucky and had an awesome chance to live in Europe for 6 years and we traveled like crazy.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 3:17 PM on Oct. 15, 2009