Help with 23 month old

My son is 23 months old 1st and only child and does not sleep through the night and has NEVER slept 6 hours straight since the day he was born. He wakes every 2 hours screaming for juice. Oh and did I mention he still sleeps in the bed with us, well he does! We are tired and can't keep living this way. With all that being said he is also beginning to act out in school (pushing, hitting, biting children and not listening) and he has started all this at home too hitting both mom and dad etc... He is in daycare from 8:30 to 5:30 Mond. through Friday as my husband and I both have to work. We have tried talking to him, doesn't work. We've tried time out, doesn't work. We've even tried light spanking on bum and that doesn't work either. We just don't know what to do so any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tee1123

Asked by Tee1123 at 12:07 PM on Oct. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• First I would try to get him into his own room. Start with a Friday night and do downtime in his room (books, cuddles etc) then stay in there with him till he falls asleep. If he gets up, put him back. Let him cry it out if necessary. Do this EVRYNIGHT! Hopefully by Monday he will stay in his own room fairly well. But you have to KEEP putting him back, don't cop out cuz it's easier to just let him stay with you. This worked for my son at 24 months. As far as the hitting and acting out, find out what his school does as dicipline then do the same. Consistancy, consistancy, consistancy is key to happy kiddos in my opinion!
    jenree33

Answer by jenree33 at 12:23 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• Have you ever thought about a sleep study? What does his Ped say about not sleeping more than 6 hours straight? I wonder if the behavior issues have more to do with being over tired and irritiable? I wonder if he just never learned self soothing ability. My son wouldn't have if i didn't do Cry it out at 8 months due to his Colic but the Ped said if he didn't learn how to sleep and put himself back to sleep, it would very much affect his mood, behavior and emotional state. I think its worth a shot. I can't imagine how tired and upset you must be about this. Hugs to you mommy.. .I have a "spiritied" child and even last night he woke up at 1:30 til 3:30 then at 5:30 and I am beat, but it doesn't happen all the time either... GL!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:27 PM on Oct. 14, 2009