Underlying conditions my ***. 45% of Adults hospitalized with H1N1 DID NOT have underlying conditions!

Did you see this new article???
http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2009-10-13-swine-flu_N.htm?csp=34

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:18 PM on Oct. 14, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• But how many of those were hospitalized for non-life-threating conditions? And how many of the people DYING from H1N1 have underlying conditions? Most. This flu is only slightly more deadly than the regular everyday flu. We're so worried because we dont' have immunity to this one and because they said the word "pandemic". Pandemic only means an illness that affects more than one continent. It doesn't mean it's killing everyone. The common cold is a pandemic. The stomach flu is a pandemic. Male pattern baldness is a pandemic :p Why is everyone freaking out so bad?
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:33 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• Ati, you need to open your eyes. Do a websearch on children dying from H1N1.
    If we had a measles or chickenpox epidemic, most people would want to be informed. Why do you not want to be informed about this? Yes, I get this way about the regular flu as well. Especially when I know that I with all my health issues could drop dead. Sorry to be so hard, but this is very real in my life. My hubby works for a hospital who's ICU beds are FILLED with H1N1 patients. There are NO empty ICU beds. Google the shortage of ICU beds. This is crazy!
    Anonymous

• What about the epidemic of the hundreds babies that die in the US from formula? 47 deaths and the hospitalizations from swine flu are nothing compared to the mortality, morbidity, and hospitalizations associated with artificial feeding.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:00 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• I think they are certainly dramatizing it. Hey, they have all those vaccines they need to get rid of, why not?

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 2:02 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• No but whatever........ If you don't want the flu, get the shot. Just shut up already for crying out loud.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 3:06 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• Hey OP, YOU go get the shot. Take a pic of YOU getting it....I will give YOU my email address and call me in 10 years and tell me how those side effects are!
    Anonymous

• Hospitalizations are one thing. DEATHS are the real issue. How many who DIED had underlying conditions? I don't know that number offhand.

Here's something to hear and think about: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=113746160&ps=cprs

Answer by gdiamante at 3:37 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• Most of the young children that have died did not have an underlying condition. They developed a secondary infection their immune systems could not fight off, including MRSA.

Also, the purpose of mass immunization is not necessarily to protect yourself. It is to protect those most at risk of dying from an epidemic. Don't want the flu shot? Don't get it. If you're healthy, the odds are very slight that you'll die from H1N1. However, you just might pass it along to someone that will.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 4:17 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• Hey---formula doesn't kill babies. Yikes! Almost all my relatives and friends bottle fed their babies and they are all healthy and happy. WHere does that "killer formula" item come from? AND I thought this topic was the H1N1 flu!!!
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 6:48 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• I would be more interested in the ratio of people who have treated and healed from H1N1 at home vs. being hospitalized before I start freaking out.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 8:37 PM on Oct. 14, 2009