Foramen Ovale?

My son is 3 weeks old. He has had to stay in the hospital since he was born. The Dr. called me yeserday to tell me when he was checking his heart he heard a murmur, so they did an ultrasound of his heart & found that the Foramen Ovale (basically a hole in his heart) that normally closes shortly after birth has not closed. He said it is nothing to cause alarm at this time, it is causing no problems. That they will schedule a follow-up and give it time to close on it own. If not, he might "need some help".(?) He mentioned that in some infants it is benign and that it is hard to tell the difference between this and "Atrial Septal Defect".
Has anyone here had this happen with their baby, or does anyone have information on this they could share with me? I am so scared. I spent all yesterday and last nite looking this up online. If anyone could help me understand better I would really appreciate it. Please pray for Hayden.

Maya09

Asked by Maya09 at 12:42 PM on Oct. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Is the Dr. that called you a Pediatric Cardiologist? If he is not that would be my next step. Have the situation evaluated by a Dr that specializes in Cardiology. My youngest son ws born with Atrial Septal Defect that required surgery to correct. It went fine, but I was a nervous wreck. Foramen Ovale delayed closure is not uncommon but the sooner you know which it is the better.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:41 AM on Oct. 19, 2009