breast feeding and valium

i have to get my pulled next week i have been prescribed valium and its not safe while breast feeding. Do you have any idea valium stay in your system? I asked pharmist and dentist neither one didn't know!! Please let me know your experience if you had this dilemma before.

thanks

no bashing please!

ps im pumping as much as i can before the appt.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:52 PM on Oct. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• They gave you valium to get teeth pulled? Do you have anxiety? I am pretty sure that Valium stays in your system for a week. I am not positive though, it's weird a pharmacist would not know. Can you ask to get something else, like percocet, that is safe while breastfeeding. It probably won't work as well as Valium but at least you won't have to worry about. Good luck, I hate getting teeth pulled.

lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 1:19 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• Oh yeah, valium can really knock you out, so make sure you have someone to watch your baby after you take it.
    lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 1:23 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• The pharmacist or dentist should have abook they can look up the half-life of the medicine in (that's how long it stays in your system). If I were you I would just ask for something that is safe while b/f to take...
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 1:39 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• First we need to know why you are being prescribed valium to be able to help with alternatives. I had my tooth pulled when I was 13 wks pregnant and wasn't prescribed or given anything harmful so it is more then possible to do this without the use of valium or anything harmful.

Anonymous

• To anon number one I am asked to take valuim because my tooth is so decayed that the numbing medicine wouldnt work so now I have to go back at a later date I also will have to use gas which Im terrified of. I wonder if I can just do the gas I really dont want to take any pills
    Anonymous

• your dentist should seriously know that. i was going to get my teeth pulled and they told me i would have to stop breastfeeding for a week after, but i wasn't bf anyway so it didn't matter. and when i took the valium it didn't even help me. i still totally freaked out and panicked and was scared out of my mind and trying to run in the other direction. but i went in there and got my wisdoms pulled and it was no big deal. i was awake and they basically gave me shots to numb up, then went in there and yanked them, and then it was over in like 15 minutes. it was not a big deal at all. but anyways i think that its a week after, but if u can pump and feed the baby on that for as long as it will lasts, go for it. i still thinks its really stupid that ur dentist or pharmacist didn't know. my dentist called me just to tell me to pump if i'm bf after i take that...
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 5:00 PM on Oct. 14, 2009