i need some crib to bed advice

my son is almost 18 m/o and i'm trying to get him used to the toddler bed. the crib is still in his bedroom and he sleeps in it at night. I was thinking about transitioning him slowly, by first doing naps...is that the right approach? anyone did the transition that way and had somewhat of a success? prior to today, he was already asleep (I ran some errands and he fell asleep in the car, so it was easy laying him in the bed and he did fine), but today he is awake and i'm having some trouble. when napping in the crib, I usually give him a book or stuffed animal and put on the music crib toy; he does just fine with that. plus he has the crib gate and cant escape like he can the bed. I gave him some books for the bed but he is still making lots of noise. I went in to check on him and he removed everything from his bookshelf...he is wide awake....any suggestions for this first time mom? should I just let him nap in the crib for now

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 1:07 PM on Oct. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• ok I just checked on him and he was up, but I told him "it's naptime, please get back in bed" and he went back in the bed, but stood up lol...it seems like he understands "back in bed"...... should I just stay patient and consistant? I dont want him to get overtired...thats why I'm thinking I should just let him lay in the crib since he usually falls asleep fine when in it (since he cant climb out, "gives up" and lays down)
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 1:14 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• that's the way i did my 16 mos dd...i always let her fall asleep usually on me, or i would lay down beside her bed til she was asleep...as far as night time goes, she always falls asleep in bed with us and then i put her in her bed for the night.....let him play on it and get used to it....when i first set kenzies toddler bed up, she loved all she wanted to do was lay in it....it's going to sound terrible when i say it, but let him during nap time get used to it, sit on it, look at books on it, whatever..(first time mom, i depend on naps to get my stuff done lol)..good luck with it.
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 1:41 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• Try telling him one time "It's nap time, time to lay down" the second time say "Back in bed" while escorting him to bed. The consecutive times simply walk in, say NOTHING to him and put him back in his bed, cover him up and leave the room. Right now he is testing you, therefore you need to be consistent and firm. Just continue to put him back in his bed. It may take you a week of doing this every 5 minutes, but he will get the point that when he is put in his bed he needs to stay there. The crib may also be a big distraction, and I know you are trying to wean him from it gradually by allowing him to sleep in his bed at night but it may be too distracting for him if you know what I am saying. Especially at nap time. I would say a max of two to three weeks is about all you should need with that crib in the room if he is truly ready for his toddler bed. If not, maybe you should pack it away till he is a bit older.
    swimmachic23

Answer by swimmachic23 at 1:44 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• This is very dependent on the personality of your child. If your child is good with change, just moving to the bed might be easier. If not, a slower transition might work better. However, you do it, expect some lost nap time and lots of "get back into bed". I'm also a bit curious as to why you're moving him at 18 months. Is he climbing out?
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 1:46 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• well I just checked up on him and once I opened the door he ran to the bed...I dont know if he's testing me, but he's just...playing. he kows crib=bedtime because thats what he's been used to since day 1, plus if he refuses to lay down the crib gates keep him in (he cant quite crawl over them yet) and he eventually gives up and falls asleep.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 1:48 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• He's absolutely testing you! TOddlers specialize in that. he also probably thinks the whole tihng is pretty funny. If you really want him to nap and he really needs it, I'd leave him in the crib a bit longer. If he climbs out, different problem.. If you really want him in a bed, totally babyproof the room (deciding if you're ok with him tossing books around) and don't go back in. I believe he's more likely to settle if he gets bored waiting for mommy to "visit".
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 1:55 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• momofryan07, no specific reason, I just thought this is a good age to start getting him used to a bed. he isnt climbing out of the crub successfully, but he does try. i'm a 1st time mom so this is all new to me. whats right and whats too early is a learning experience for sure....
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 2:22 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• yes, we're all learning. I was hping to keep my son in a crib until 3. No such luck. He climbed out at 22 months. It was a bit challenging to get him use to a bed (we skipped the toddler bed as our crib converted to a bed). Naps went by the wayside for a while. Bedtime was early for about 2 weeks then he realized he could get out of bed.. It was a nightly challenge for about 6 weeks then we were set. SInce you don't have an urgent need to move him to the bed, you might try making napping in the bed a "treat" and put him in his crib if he won't nap. My son will do anything if he thinks it's somehow special!
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 4:41 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• hmmm "as a treat" thats a cute idea! a few moms have told me they allow the use of the bed during playtime, like their child sits on the bed and looks at books or plays, as long as they are chillin and relaxing and uses the bed at all and eventually gets used to it, they are happy, and eventually they do the transition process. i might just stick with the crib for now, but keep the bed in the room, and retry the transition in 1 or 2 months....
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 4:49 PM on Oct. 14, 2009