Cat acting really weird! HELP!

I have 2 male cats that are brothers. They are 7 yrs old, fixed and strickly indoor cats. When I first got them, one of them was really skinny and had patches of dry skin, minus fur on different parts of his body. It cleared up on its own and no problems with him since. Now, his brother has been licking himself ALL the time and biting himself also. I find clumps of his hair constantly around the house! My husband checked to see if there were fleas on them, and found nothing.
This morning, I noticed that Gizmo; the cat with the biting issues, had chewed off a 6 inch section of fur from the back of his tail!!
I feel terrible for him not knowing what could be wrong! My next step is taking them to a vet, but I want to see if anyone might know what could be causing him to do this?

cjs702006

Asked by cjs702006 at 1:07 PM on Oct. 14, 2009 in Pets

• if you didnt see any fleas, it might be a rash.....
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 1:09 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• It could be ringworm. One of our cats got ringworm and it cleared up on it's own. Our other cats or our dogs did not get it. You might try searching google. Ringworm is not a worm.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:12 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• I'd say ring worm as well, but I've heard that they can have a hard time clearing up. I'm not POSOTIVE but I think petsmart carries a shampoo or something. You could always try using a shampoo or cream to make the itching stop and it might actually clear up if the kitty stops itching.
    takula

Answer by takula at 1:31 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• animals can't talk, so they have to find other ways of expressing themselves. the cat could be chewing off his fur for a number of reasons. he could be in a lot of pain, he could have a skin issue, etc... just wait til you see the vet and keep track of any other odd behavior the cat has- watch him eat, watch him use the litterbox, anything that could help the vet find out what's wrong.
    MaMaLaLa369

Answer by MaMaLaLa369 at 1:35 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• Good advice from everyone, but something that wasn't mentioned is their food. Have you changed their diet at all? If you have them on one of the grocery store brands (Friskies, Whiskas, Deli Cat, Purina, Iams, etc) it might be allergies. There are a lot of ingredients in these foods that might be causing it (these brands use a lot of fillers, by-products and corn). My dog was on Science Diet (a good food for most animals) but couldn't handle the corn, as many animals are allergic to it. His feet were raw from chewing, and his chest was raw from scratching.
    But the only way to know for sure is to ask a vet. Good luck!
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 7:09 PM on Oct. 14, 2009