Have you had MORE than 3 c-sections? Is it stupid?

How did the last ones go? I've had 3 and we are thinking about having one more child. We lost a baby, she was c-section as well and we think that we would like to have 3 to raise. What do you think?

Btw, my first was an emergency, my second was a loss at 29 wks and we chose it and thrid was planned bc of the last ones. The doctor said the uterus looks okay but I know they only recommend 3 MAYBE 4 if you run into the right doctor....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:14 PM on Oct. 14, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Stupid? If this is how you MUST deliver your baby, of course not.
    But to choose an unnecessary ("elective") cesarean that adds risk to mom & baby?? Not great, I guess.
    You don't have to have another cesarean if you don't want one. (Provided you're healthy for a vaginal delivery, of course!)
    For most women, a VBAC is safer than a repeat cesarean.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:19 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:23 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• If you'd like to learn more about your options, you can go to ICAN:   VBAC

Or I have a lot of information saved up. Let me know if you'd like some help-- Good luck!

doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:25 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• Well, I don't think it's stupid by any means. You're being responsible in planning your next birth and deciding what's best for you and your babies. You're not being stupid in your desire for another baby, either. Anyone who has known the pain of losing a child knows that it's not easy to decide to have another, and it's not selfish either.

I think that if your uterus isn't too scarred (which is what they mean when they say that it looks good) then it's fine to try again. The risks of stillbirth, miscarriage and placental problems does increase with each C-section, though. So be aware of that. Your risks also increase. Blood loss increases with each surgury and you risk losing your utuerus to hemmorhage or to placenta percreata. Weigh all the risks and benefits, talk to your doctor and decide from there. Have you considered adoption? If you decide against having another, that's another option :)

Good luck!
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:25 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• My concern is that I have already had three. The first one got stuck and couldn't make it past my pelvic bones. I choose the second one b/c emotionally is was easiest... my third, I was scared b/c she was going to be as big as my first and didnt want to risk having an emergency again.

Is VBAC even safe? Most doctors will not consider it after 3...
    Anonymous

• Some doctors won't perform vbacs after you've have 2 already. I know in my area, the actual hospital doesn't allow vbacs after 2 c-sections. I've had 2 c-sections so far and we're trying for our third child. I plan on having as many children as I can. My doctors have told me that they've done 9 c-sections for one mother. So, 4 should be find for you. :)
    kimmykim

Answer by kimmykim at 1:27 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• If you have true CPD then you might not have a choice. Have you had an accident or bone disease? (I have info, let me know if you want me to pass it on.)

Big baby doesn't matter, women can birth big babies with the right help.

VBACing is safer than an unnecessary repeat cesarean.

You might have to find a normal birth specialist (midwife) rather than a surgeon (OB) to tend to your maternity care.

It looks like you have a wonderful adventure full of learning ahead of you. :-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:43 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• The people suggesting VBAC don't understand the situation. No one is going to let someone who has had 3 c-sections have a VBAC.

You are wise to be concerned about a 4th c-section. Here is what I would do. I would wait until 3 years after my last c-section to ttc. That is the minimum the World Health Organization recommends for any birth.

If I got pregnant I would find the best high risk pregnancy/surgeon OB doc there is in the area. Ask a lot of different people. If you can get answers out of them ask OB nurses, childbirth people, LLL Leaders, and other people in the community that know a lot about birth.

Then I would take good care of myself and hope for the best.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:53 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• The WHO actually recommends 18 months minimum from birth to conception, not 3 years. Maybe 3 years for a section, I don't know that for sure, but 18 months for a vaginal birth. Just FYI.

I agree that after 3 sections you won't find someone who will attend you. You'd have to have an unassisted homebirth. Which is fine if you have training and know what to look for in emergencies and you have someone with you who can call for an ambulance, but I don't think that describes your situation, no offense intended.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 2:00 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• Sorry to double post... Doulala, you always are full of such great information... do you really think that it's possible to find a midwife to care for a woman after 3 sections? In the two states I've lived in, Colorado and Arizona, the MOST a midwife could care for was a woman having a child after two sections... in Arizona ANY previous uterine surgury is grounds for being risked out under state law, and that includes D&Cs. In which states are midwives able to care for women after multiple sections?
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 2:02 PM on Oct. 14, 2009