Why is Halloween "evil" to some? I don't get it!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:25 PM on Oct. 14, 2009 in Holidays

• Because of the origins of the holiday. The origin is Pagan. Therefore, those who believe that "pagan" and "devil worship" is the same will think Halloween is evil.
    PrincesaBoricua

Answer by PrincesaBoricua at 1:27 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• because they are uptight, over thinking, bible beating zealots
    Anonymous

• Because they are ignorant!
    Anonymous

• ditto :27.
    Anonymous

• Because they are misinformed and think it's a holiday based on Satan because that's what the Catholic church decided when it swept across Europe and tried to wipe out the Pagans (that's historical fact and not something pagans made up!)

It's not true. It's based on honoring our ancestors, being thankful for the harvest, and looking forward to the year to come.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:30 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• I don't know why some find it "evil" around our house we just find it fun. We don't celebrate for any great meaning. For us it is just a fun day to dress up, pretend, take cute pics of the kiddos, get tons of free candy, and just enjoy fun time with our kids. Nothing more, nothing less. For us it is all about fun.
    JEAmom3

Answer by JEAmom3 at 1:36 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• there is a history of halloween or all hallows eve (sp?) It was like a new years in Ireland I gues, but the eve was to honor the dead to make sacrifices to them etc. Then the Catholic church changed it to honor the saints.

but now there are many people who celebrate Halloween by making it a point to scare and terrify people, so that is why some peoplpe say its evil.... there is a lot of evil that goes on on Halloween with mean intentioned people who are doing things to celebrate that day. Not everyone of course, but there are some people out there who do.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 1:45 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• Precious, I should clarify that the sacrifices made were not LIVE sacrifices. Food was left for ancestors at sacred places or even on each family's doorstep. Some people take "sacrifices" to mean HUMAN sacrifices. I'm not saying that no one ever sacrificed another human being, but Samhain was never about human sacrifice.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 2:58 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• I didn't say anything about human sacrfices. I was just stating that they made sacrifices.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 3:35 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• To us the candy is evil! lol
    Rowdyblues

Answer by Rowdyblues at 3:36 PM on Oct. 14, 2009