Who has horror stories about daycare?

Just saw a question about SAHM and a few mothers say they don't trust daycare's or think they are abusive. So I am wondering how many people actually have day care horror story's?

I know I do, a woman I worked with was using the big center in town that is for low income and her daughter came home with a bruise on her knee the size of my hand! also her elbow and shoulder had bruises too. The center never said a word and never told her what happened. They had no record of it. The little girl said one of the workers dropped her when she was trying to pick her up. Needless to say I am not really keen on putting my son in the same daycare.

auroura

Asked by auroura at 1:37 PM on Oct. 14, 2009 in General Parenting

• I have a couple. The first was with a daycare center. I was noticing that my son was always really wet diapers and sometimes messy too. They were really bad and one even started falling apart on me when I was taking it off of him. He was7 months and getting the worst rashes I had ever seen. So for a solid week I would mark the inside of his diaper when putting it on him in the morning. And guess what? He would have the same diaper on every afternoon when I picked him up. I took this information to the owner of the center and the employees over my childs age group were fired but I still would not use the daycare anymore. The next was with an in home daycare. First I found out that she was giving all the children 1 big bowl of cereal to share each morning. GROSS! Once I talked to her though that stopped but the final straw for me was a day when I got off work 2 hours early. When I arrived at her house Continued
    Anonymous

• I work in a daycare and witnessed a teacher putting a kid in a closet for time out.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 1:43 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• continued:
    Her front door was open so I walked up and she was sitting on the couch smoking pot with my son and a little girl laying on the couch beside her. I called the police and ofcourse she got a plea and probation. They should have locked her up. Now I use a family member who needed extra money.
    Anonymous

• From day care centers:
    1. My daughter came home with lice, from the center. They wouldn't let her back until it was cleared, which it was the next day. They looked at her head, saw a freckle she has there and sent her home. DH had to call off work, and yes, we had to pay for it.
    2. (same daycare center) They used some sort of home made goo for play dough, but more like slime. I told them in the morning at drop off, DO NOT LET HER PLAY WITH IT. At pick up, she was crying with this goo all in her hair! They were trying to rinse it out but to no avail. I had to cancel an appointment and take her home to fix it.
    3. (same daycare center) They lost her blanket. Hello! She was like 2 and needed her lovey. I looked through everyone's backpacks until I found it. They said I wan't allowed, but I did it anyway.
    cont ..
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 2:24 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• 4. (same day care center) LAST STRAW -- she got lice again, 2nd time in 2 weeks. I wrote a letter to the health department. I withdrew her that day and told them they'd have to take me to court to get my 2 weeks notice pay since it would be neglegent on my part to take her back there. They did not persue the funds.

5. (different day care center) - They called me several times at work, about an hour away, to pick up my daughter because she had diarrhea. She was teething. Diarrhea comes with teething. I told them they were crazy. I said "I'm on my way" but you know what? I couldn't leave work, since I was a teacher and had 25 kids in class. I was on my way, 5 hours later.

After that, we took her to in-home daycare run by a friend of the family. We loved Pammy. She was awesome and my daughter stayed there until we stopped doing daycare when she was 5. My son has never been in daycare.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 2:27 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• I used a Kindercare for my son & as part of our fee, the daycare provided lunch for the children. Well, I would pack lunch & snacks for my son just in case he wouldn't or couldn't eat what was served that day (FTT, severe food aversions & feeding difficulties related to his disabilities). The asst. director decided, w/o consulting me, that she would "fix" him. She stopped giving him his lunch from home if he ate anything of the provided lunch, figuring if he was hungry enough he'd eat all of the lunch. Sooo, if he wanted a biscuit from the lunch tray, she'd give it to him, then take away his home lunch, leaving him to starve the rest of the day! Breakfast at home was at 6 AM, then "lunch" at the center at 11 AM, then I'd pick him up at 6 PM....He'd be a wild child when I got him b/c he was literally starving. When I found out, I reported it to the center's director who promptly reprimanded the asst. director, thank goodness.
    Anonymous

• Doesn't everyone have a horror story about something? I've heard plenty of horror stories about daycares - they make the news. I've also heard horror stories about stay at home parents harming children, grandparents neglecting kids, older siblings injuring younger siblings, teachers sleeping with students, religious officials giving alcohol and/or drugs to congregants, and the list goes on and on.
    MomToBeISaMom

Answer by MomToBeISaMom at 2:54 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• I worked in a daycare when I was very young. I was appalled to find out that after snacks or arts & crafts, in order to clean the children up, they brought out one big bucket of soapy water and 1 washcloth which they used to wipe the hands and faces of ALL the children.
    Anonymous

• I've also heard plenty of horror stories about public schools, school teachers, parents, step parents.... Horror stories are not isolated to daycares. And because you don't like a daycare's policies that doesn't make it a horror. Daycare isn't for everyone and, like anything else, you get what you pay for.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 6:03 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• My friend had her son in an at-home daycare and pulled him out when he got supcious bruises on his arms (he was under 1yr). A few months later the woman's husband got arressted for child molestation! She was so upset. I could only tell her that 1. if anything happened her son was too young and he would never know and 2. that creep iwll get what he deserves when he gets to prision!

My mom used to run an in home daycare in Maine. She had a lot of her parents bringing in kids from the local day care. Apparently when the children took naps so did all of the employees, the kids were eating junk food all day, and parents would just go in and pick up their children and leave without staff ever waking up or even noticing.
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 7:53 AM on Oct. 15, 2009