WHAT FLOORING TO USE

We have 3 cats and 1 dog that are inside. The problem is we are trying to remodel are house and unsure what type of flooring to use for our living room. It used to be carpet, but we had a severe case of flees a few years ago and pulled all carpet, pading, etc to get rid of them. I want bamboo flooring, but dh thinks it will get scratched up. I like carpet because of the softness, but our living room has a sliding window that goes to the backyard and the carpet would prob stay dirty. Dh doesn't like tile because we are looking for a country look . Any ideas on what we should go for.

mar1215

Asked by mar1215 at 2:02 PM on Oct. 14, 2009 in Home & Garden

• You can find tile that has the country look, they even have tile that looks like wood!

Answer by older at 2:04 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• Look at vinyl flooring, there are hundreds of styles. You will likely be able to find one that suits you. It is easy to clean. I don't think it is called vinyl flooring anymore, but I can't think what to call it. The kind we got looks like tiles.

Answer by Bmat at 2:05 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• I love bamboo and it's a sustainable material. If you want the country look I'd go with wide plank wood floors. You can always put down an area rug to help protect from scratches. I love wood because it's easy to clean, it doesn't contain allergens, and it looks the prettiest (to me!).

There are other tile options too - terra cotta tiles have sort of a south western feel to them and are very pretty as well.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 2:13 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• We have laminate. It is tough. The only problem is I have to sweep 4-5 times a day. I guess if I had carpet that dirty would seep down.
    Anonymous

• go with bamboo. it's healthier. there are fewer chemicals. Use throw rugs. Carpet is too unsanitary. I wish I could get rid of all of mine. Tile will drive you nuts. You'll break so much stuff. Everything that falls on tile just shatters. Cell phones, dishes, computers... it's a dangerous surface.

natural bamboo off-gases less and has less petrochemicals in it than carpet or laminate. Plus, the resale on you home will go up. Contact a realtor in your area for advice on big projects like this to make sure you are maximizing your return.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 3:12 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• We have a wide plank rustic maple floor with a country style neighbors have the same floor with a more modern style and it works for both of us. I also have 5 kids and big dogs and the dings and scratches add to the rustic look
    mtnaspen

Answer by mtnaspen at 3:13 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• Go with laminates. Choose the thicker ones that will last longer. Laminate is tough and durable. If you like softness, get a rug you can throw down on it, and then clean your rug every now and then. There is no perfect flooring--each kind has its strengths and weaknesses. Carpet is great for some areas and is not "unsanitary" as long as you have it professionally cleaned from time to time as the manufacturers recommend (duh), but it sounds like laminates might suit you better in this room.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:37 AM on Oct. 15, 2009