RSV, Allergies and Asthma and Pets

My baby had RSV at 2 months old, suffers from several food allergies and I've read that RSV and allergies often lead to developing asthma later on. Now, I have a friend who'd be willing to help me out and take my baby during the week in her home, instead of daycare, but she has 3 dogs and 1 cat. I'm on the fence whether I should even consider her offer since I'd like to prevent him developing asthma as much as I can...but then, I also heard that it was good that infant were exposed to pets at an early age...any thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:08 PM on Oct. 14, 2009 in General Parenting

• Has your child been exposed to cats and dogs before? Maybe try a short visit to your friend's house to see if she has any reaction.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 2:15 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• i have asthma, my dd has allergies and had rsv. she is k with some dogs but not cats. am relaly allergic to cats. i get hives. cats are asthmas worse enemy!!
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 2:39 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• I would not risk it.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 4:55 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• My daughter had RSV at four months. She has asthma. So far, no food allergies. We have two dogs and she is fine with them. Dust is a problem, but not the dogs. I don't know if she's allergic to cats, but my brother's daughter had RSV and has severe allergies and she's fine with cats and dogs. I agree, maybe try it for a half an hour and see how it goes.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 5:56 PM on Oct. 14, 2009