Why do so many young girls wear make-up?

My daughter will be 13 in a few weeks and we don't allow her to wear makeup-but she hasn't been upset that we don't allow it either. All her friends wear make-up and lots of it. I have seen even younger girls wearing make up!!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:08 PM on Oct. 14, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• I think they do because their mothers think it's ok, and the moms probably wear a lot of make up. My dd will not wear make up until HS, if then. I never wear it, so she probably won't want to either.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 2:10 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• I agree that its probably a combination of seeing the mothers wear it, and also other girls at school. I started wearing makeup in jr high. All of us 7th graders wanted to wear makeup because all of the 8th graders were! lol silly now that I think about it, but thats the way girls think!
    fallnangel93

Answer by fallnangel93 at 2:12 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• The little girls I see just wear nail polish and lip gloss; mine did too but only on week-ends she never did to school.But not that often though. I personally didn't think it looked that great on little hands. again it's up to their mothers though.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 5:10 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• To look pretty?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:44 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• I suppose it's a lot better than letting them wear more revealing outfits, right? I think I would let my daughter wear make-up before I let her go out with her belly or back hanging out of her clothes. jmo though.
    Aingls

Answer by Aingls at 11:38 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• My daughter will not be allowed to wear makeup outside of play in the house until she is 13 and then only blush and lip gloss. When she is older we will talk about wearing more.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:15 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Because momma allows it. Because the other girls do it. Because they want to look older.

My lovey (11) has told me there are girls in 5th grade with her that wear mascara and lip color -- not just gloss, but obvious color. Mine does not ask or seem to express any interest in it, unless we are going somewhere special, and then she just wants glittery powder and clear or light pink lip gloss. Sometimes I let her do this.

AND there are girls who wear what we call "hootchie momma" clothing in her class as well. Skirts too short... tops too small... and heels. We're talking heels I can't even begin to walk in.

I don't know what I'd do if my lovey wanted to dress like that. I'm just greatful she enjoys being an 11 year old kid.

My 6 yo son... well... he's very interested in my small supply of make up LOL. But... he definately does NOT get to go out in public in it.
    crittermomma

Answer by crittermomma at 4:24 PM on Oct. 22, 2009