can you describe (the best you can) what contractions feel like?

i'm only 26 weeks and i think i was having contractions this mornin. it was like a sharp pain and it faded away slowly then a few minutes later it did it again. it did that like 3 or 4 times and stopped.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:20 PM on Oct. 14, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It's not really a pain. It's a temporary tightening of your entire abdominal region. You probably just had the baby poking an arm or leg in an uncomfortable spot.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 2:28 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• it's kind of like a bad menstrual cramp or bowel movement cramp. like if you have to go #2 but you can't make it to the toilet and you get some discomfort from that. as you know it's hard to tell what it feels like ;) but that's the closest i can come up with. you might be having braxton hicks. if you are worried you could call your midwife/OB and see what they think.
    Anonymous

• if it does it again i will definitely call my doctor. i have been kinda sore since then so im thinking maybe it could be stretching or somethin.
    Anonymous

• 'discomfort" HA...you must have felt something way different from me. I felt PAIN. It was like someone had a vice-grip tool around my belly and were squeezing trying to pop it or something. Thank god it was over in9 hours. I was ready to beg for drugs.
    Anonymous

• I thought it felt like menstrual cramps - very bad menstrual cramps.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:56 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• a tightening pain.

I noticed the big difference on me between pregnancy contractions and actual labor contractions was the location.

Pregnancy contractions (braxton hicks) happened around my belly, labor contractions were much more around the hips and pelvis.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 3:00 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• I never felt any pain. I didn't even notice tightening until I really started paying attention and looking for it. '

During labor, i didn't feel uterus contraction pain. What was really uncomfortable and unrelenting was the constant rectal pressure from my baby's head descending. That felt like really bad constipation and like my butt was going to split in two. Before that I had intestinal purges that were cramps as my bowels emptied -- no worse than usual.

Honestly, immediately after the birth I forgot what it really felt like because I was so high on adrenaline and endorphins (i had a drug-free homebirth). My arms and legs hurt far worse from muscle sorness for a few days from squatting than the labor itself.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 3:05 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• I also had a natural birth and the pain wasnt that bad. I had back labor so my contractions were like horrible back cramps that kinda went around into my belly. But the pain really wasnt in my belly at all. Mostly my back.
    ma2b08

Answer by ma2b08 at 3:09 PM on Oct. 14, 2009