How do you get your toddler out of mom & dads bed overnight?

My daughter has sleep with us since a baby and now we are not able to get her to sleep in her own bed over night. If we let her cry in her room she gets so worked up she throws up (every time). She is two years old and getting too big to fit between us in bed. Looking for advise from those who have had the same problem and how they solved it. Thanks!

lottie13

Asked by lottie13 at 2:24 PM on Oct. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would let her throw up... clean her up and then put her back in her bed. If you don't give in it will stop after a few nights.
    Anonymous

• We didn't co-sleep in that way but to get her in her own bed, first I would read a book in her room (to myself) until she fell asleep...every 2-3 nights, I would move the chair closer to the door. Once I made it to the door, I would put her down and if she cried, I would check on her in 5 minute intervals to calm and soothe. Then a couple of days I would check on her in increasing 5 m inutes...5 then 10, then 15...it only took about 3 nights for her to realize that I would come in if anything was really wrong so she would just go to sleep when I put her to bed
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:32 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• Try settling down with her at night after bath time, with a book and snuggle time. Rock together in a rocking chair or just sit in the corner of the couch all cozy. Wait until she is asleep or almost asleep and then try putting her in her room. You can tell her before hand that you have a new bedtime routine. You can go together and pick out a new book just for this time or you can surprise her with a new book. Sometimes all it takes is some extra special attention and reassurance. I hope this might help.
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 2:32 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• There is a GREAT article on how to accomplish this over on drjaygordon.com. Search the site for "sleep." No throwing up needed.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:32 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• Wow, anon, that's harsh. that's like telling her that you don't want her anymore and she will just have to deal with it.
    Jademom07