When should I take the crib's bumper off?

My baby is almost 9 months and she moves a lot when sleeping and I am thinking take the bomber off, but I am confused because I don't know if my baby will hit her head on the crib sides and cause injury. If anybody has any idea I will appreciate.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:46 PM on Oct. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• SIDS experts recommend that you don't use bumpers at all --of course, we all want to use them because it makes the cribs look so cute. I've heard that you should stop using them when you child can stand to prevent he/she from using it as a step to get out of the crib. I stopped using one when I got tired of tying it back on after washing it when my child puked.
    RoostersMom4

Answer by RoostersMom4 at 2:50 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• I have/had the breathable bumper from babies r us so even if her face were pressed against it, she could still breathe and wouldn't get her limbs stuck in the rails. It was on until she went to a toddler bed.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:56 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• We took the bumper off when we took them out of the crib and they went into a regular bed.

Bumpers have nothing to do with SIDS. It is "recommended" you not use them to prevent SUFFOCATION. Totally different from SIDS.
    Anonymous

• I don't really like crib bumpers at all. They say you should take it out when they start rolling because they will roll their face into it and suffocate, and when they start standing they will use it as a step and step up and tumble out of the crib. I really don't think a baby can hit their head on the slats hard enough to cause injury. They would have to bash their head hard, and why would a baby do that?
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 4:55 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• This makes me laugh because when my kids started stepping on them, off they went! lol I would say 9 months is ok to take them off.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 5:22 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• As soon as the baby starts moving around in her crib you are supposed to take them off because they could suffocate from them. The little bit that they bump their head on the rails is not as bad as it sounds. Childs heads are hard for the most part. I would get rid of it, ASAP
    slynnb

Answer by slynnb at 5:23 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• my kids used to snuggle to the bumper all the time. There is no way they can get in there tight enough to suffocate unless you have one of the real fluffy ones! NONE!
    Anonymous

• So, the whole reason we put my daughters bumper on her bed was because she rolls around in her sleep and we don't want her hitting the sides and getting arms and legs in the slats.
    My daughters wakes up if something is causing a problem with her breathing and moves.

Princessofscots

Answer by Princessofscots at 5:56 PM on Oct. 14, 2009