Do you think the 1980s were a more innocent time?

I was at a playgroup today and I overheard a women saying that things in the 80's were more innocent than now. I only caught a snippet of the conversation so I'm not sure specifically what she was referring to. I've heard other people say this as well. As someone who spent her entire teen years in the 80's I really don't see how that could be true (with the exception of the current widespread availability of porn). What do you think were the 80's a more innocent era? Why or why not?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:46 PM on Oct. 14, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Nope...*laughs* I was a teen in the 80's and well....that's just all I am going to say about that!! *laughs*
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 2:47 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• No. I don't think there are any eras more innocent than today... if anything the people were just better at hiding it. There has always been murder and war and rape and adultery and pedophilia, even in the Puritan days (which is why we're so concerned with innocence to begin with). Clear back to the beginning of time. It's written in the undercurrents of human nature.

What's so innocent about everyone and their dog doing cocain and speed?
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 2:51 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• What's so innocent about everyone and their dog doing cocain and speed?

No Kidding. I remember in high school, the thing to do on a Friday night was drive around getting drunk & wasted (driver included). It also seemed way more common for parents to go out of town, and oh the parties! Maybe I'm naive but I don't think it's nearly as common for teens to do that now. That's why I always get amazed when I hear people talking about how "things were different" in the 80's.
    Anonymous

• I think the 1950's were a more innocent time!!! That is when I was a kid. We were so darn innocent and clean and wholesome--you guys would just laugh if you could have gone to high school with me!!! The 1980's were good too-my kids were in high school then and they were into sports and getting good grades. Pretty darn innocent too.They had friends just like that. Of course there were a bunch of other kids who got in trouble but my kids didn't want to hang out with them. All I know is I am so glad I don't have any kids in school now!!!
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 3:02 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• "I think the 1950's were a more innocent time!!! That is when I was a kid. We were so darn innocent and clean and wholesome--you guys would just laugh if you could have gone to high school with me!!!"

My folks were teens in the 40s, and they said it only SEEMED more innocent then. Things were hidden away rather than paraded before the whole world.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:29 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• I DONT KNOW I WAS ONLY 1 YEAR OLD AT THE TIME.
    Candrice

Answer by Candrice at 3:34 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• good grief NO it wasn't more innocent.  we were still recovering from the Disco era and HIV was arriving on the scene and spreading like wild fire due to all the free sex and love going on then. Thank goodness I got married in 1980 and have never had to worry about it

mamak57

Answer by mamak57 at 3:52 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• Not "innocent" at all (I was a teen in the 80's).
    I think information just wasn't as easily available and as 'in your face' as it is today.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 3:58 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• With the easy access to news and the internet now, I believe that we do live in a time that is way more informed than in decades past. I also think that the events of September 11th took alot of the innocence and security those of us growing up in the 80's felt. In that one day, we learned that America was vulnerable to those that wished to hurt us. I believe that this generation knows way more than we ever did in the 80's, possibly from the constant news that is fed to us from every direction. I was so naive as a teen in the 80's, my kids will be far more mature than I ever was!
    emnasmom

Answer by emnasmom at 4:08 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• I guess if you think widespread cocaine use, greed and unprotected sex as innocent than maybe ;)

No, I think the 80's were crazy and to honest, I enjoyed every minute of them!
    Anonymous