Trying to decide on what type of dog to get. Need Help.

I have a 2 year old daughter and 2 cats. We are moving into a bigger home with a yard and want a dog. I want a puppy so I can train it myself (ive done it before). We have looked at a American Eskimo and a Jack Russel. Which we loved but still not sure if thats the best dog for us. Any advice or tips would be helpful. Thank you.

Renilia

Asked by Renilia at 3:04 PM on Oct. 14, 2009 in Pets

• I love jack russels...they just yap a lot but they are the best!!!
    Anonymous

• The smarter the dog, the more potential trouble it can get into-- so if you're going to be leaving it alone for any length of time, think hard about all the trouble it can get into! A small child should not have a dog that she can tug/pull and hurt. You should look into a dog that is good with children, such as a golden retriever. They're easier to train, good with children, and need moderate exercise.

I've heard that Jack Russells are not good for small children and require a lot of attention. They are a high energy dog that needs to burn off that energy with lots of exercise. I'm not so sure about the American Eskimo-- but I imagine they require a bit of grooming with that luxurious coat of theirs, and probably shed a lot.

I suggest you look into the "Dogs 101" show on animal planet-- they can help break down the qualities for the best dog for you. Good luck!!
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 3:13 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• i say jup in there with a baby boxer, they are so good with kids, and are so SMART!!!
    ArlieBeeMee

Answer by ArlieBeeMee at 3:14 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• AE are super hyper and territorial. I wouldn't recommend them with children unless it's more for you than for them. We looked into dogs and saw the the lab and mastiff (that's what we have) are great with kids.
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 3:19 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• we've had a broad range of dogs. From "yappy" to .. whatever.
    I particularly LOVE Golden Retrievers, they're loyal, they're very easy to train, they have a great, gentle side, and they're very good with kids.

Husky's can get territorial, but if you get them young - they'll be fine. You're training them, it's a new house, they weren't there before the kids started arriving, so... I don't think you'll have a problem.
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 3:24 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• We just got a puppy this summer that is a Jack Russell mix. He is alot of work and smart as a whip, but he's been great with our kids. He has had to be trained to tolerate them (but that may have to do with the fact that he's super small... now 6m and 6lbs--- the kids are *huge* to him!) but now he follows my 4.5yo son around like its his job. JRT's are great dogs if you have the time and energy to devote to them. Smitty has been pretty much a full time job all summer, but now he's reliably housebroken and does at least a dozen commands so reliably that I don't need to walk him on leash if I don't want to (he heels!). Terriers need to be constantly challenged and alot of exercise to be a good companion/family animal. They always need to be learning or they get into mischief. I work with Smitty every night (just 15 mins or so) after the kids are in bed and he gets walked 4+ miles 3+ times a week, but he's excellent.
    IrishMommaC

Answer by IrishMommaC at 3:26 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• Oh, and I'm all about starting out with a puppy. Our last dog was a rescue dog and never could get the housebreaking thing down- and he got so mean to the kids as he aged. Smitty has been with us since he was 6weeks old (he was only 1lb 2ozs, but we got him for free from a low income situation) so he was like having a baby at first. But now, I have no doubt that I am goign to have a reliable dog who is well suited to our family for possibly another 15 years.
    IrishMommaC

Answer by IrishMommaC at 3:29 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• boxers are great family dogs....I've never had one because I am partial to terriers and cattle/working dogs but my sisters have had several and they are amazing
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 3:56 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• Please look into your local rescue groups, there are many out there for almost every breed....
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 5:22 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• i totally love my standard poodle. she is so calm, smart and willing to do anything for you. everyone wants her.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 7:44 PM on Oct. 14, 2009