Where is the stimulus working?

Many teachers keep jobs thanks to stimulus funds
Federal stimulus money has kept tens of thousands of teachers from losing their jobs this year, according to preliminary data from several states obtained by The Associated Press. In California, some 62,000 jobs in public schools and universities were saved or created with stimulus funds, according to the data. The $787 billion stimulus package allocated billions of dollars this year to states expected to come up short on education budgets.

entire article:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091013/ap_on_go_pr_wh/us_stimulus_jobs

PsWifey

Asked by PsWifey at 3:04 PM on Oct. 14, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I got this in e-mail, too. I'm excerpting for length...the news release was very long.

"The Workforce Investment Board of San Bernardino County announced today that of the $15.8 million in stimulus funding allocated by the federal government in February 2009, approximately $11.7 million has been spent on local programs for workforce training, business retention and youth work experience, and $4.1 million is contracted to be spent on additional training programs during the next year....

"Approximately $7.1 million in stimulus funding was assigned to the Summer Youth Employment Program, which placed 1,834 youth, ages 14 to 24, in jobs this summer....

"This funding has covered the cost to train 1,876 adults enrolled in training programs. Each training program is linked to an industry with a demand for employees such as health care, customer service, childcare, bookkeeping, water management, welding, logistics and management."

Answer by gdiamante at 3:34 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• Really!!! Our school district fired 45 teachers over the summer. Our class sizes average 35-40 kids K-12. My state was among those that took the stimulus money.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 3:09 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• Really are you sure it wasn't because of Obamas fave people the Union?

The governing body of the Los Angeles teachers union Wednesday night overwhelmingly rejected a deal negotiated and signed by their president that sharply reduced work opportunities for veteran substitute teachers by giving preference to recently laid-off teachers.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2009/10/union-rejects-deal-giving-jobs-of-veteran-subs-to-laidoff-teachers.html

Los Angeles Unified School District issued about 27,000 temporary pink slips to teachers, but permanently laid off a little more than 2,000.

http://www.daily49er.com/opinion/our-view-california-teachers-dropping-like-flies-1.1995698

Anonymous

• Hooray. Loads of good it's going to do when (NOT "if") the dollar assumes the value of toilet paper and you can't afford to buy anything.
    Anonymous

• I'm trying to get an interview with the WIB folks to get this info translated into actual jobs. I do know that there were 2000 jobs created through stimulus funds for a major highway improvement project here.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:35 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• In my community there have been teaching, firefighter, and police jobs saved. I think saving jobs was suppose to be part of the purpose of the stimulus. I don't know if the stimulus was the best thing to do or not, but I do know that without it in my community we would have several hundreds of more people unemployed. Does anybody have any alternative ideas?
    Phase3

Answer by Phase3 at 4:00 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• Great, for the teacher's unions. More kids will learn how to put a condom on a cucumber. whoppee.
    Anonymous

• In my community we are losing jobs left and right...with more to come so says the paper..*sighs*
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 4:08 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

Anon, clearly you have no clue about what the educational unions do.
    PsWifey

Answer by PsWifey at 4:17 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• Phase3~ It seems that slowly the jobs are being recovered. Mind you, I said slowly. We continue to lose jobs in the farming sector in my area but that is due to government infighting at the state level, a three year drought and the importing of many produce items from other countries rather than from the Central Valley. I would like to see some of that stimulus money to go toward the agricultural infrastructure specifically in the area of water availability, farmer access to water and safer working conditions for farm laborers. I say a prayer of thanks to those folks at every meal! Thank you to all who have shared instances from their own communities where they can see or have heard of positive things coming about from the stimulus. There is too much negativity floating around. It just seemed a good day to look for something positive.

PsWifey

Answer by PsWifey at 4:22 PM on Oct. 14, 2009