When did your little one start walking?

My daughter will be 1 in two weeks (YAY!!) and I'm just curious. I'm not worried she's behind or anything like that. It's just curiousity. My daughter walks while holding onto furniture and she has figured out how to stand up without any help from furniture or people. I'm just excited she's getting to that stage.

When did you start buying them shoes?

MommyLee08

Asked by MommyLee08 at 3:25 PM on Oct. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• she stared crusing at 1 1mts walked by 12mts. shoes at 1 2mts. most kids walk between 10-18 mts. thats around the norm
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 3:27 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• My son is 13 months, and he JUST started walking on his own... He's been cruising for months, but he just didn't feel like walking up till now. He still crawls most of the time, it's just faster, I guess ;)

However, my friends' kids both started walking at 10 months, go figure.

As for shoes... he has the fattest little feet, I'm having a hard time finding any that fit him. Also, when they're starting to walk, barefoot is actually best for them, and for the development of their feet. If they need to wear shoes (like outside), get the ones with the soft flexible soles if you can.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 3:29 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• 15 months he was walking on his own. Doctor said that was perfectly normal.
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 3:44 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• Mine's 13 months and cruising, but hasn't taken steps on her own yet. I put her in socks with the rubber grippers on the bottom, but I can't foresee putting her in shoes any time soon. We're having the same trouble as Anouk - short, fat feet. I guess when she walks outside I will get shoes for her.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 3:48 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• My son started at 10 months, we got him shoes after he started walking for outside. Inside i would put those soft shoes like Robeez (but the target brand...much cheaper). My DD is 12 months and hasn't started yet, but I also have gotten her soft shoes already for outside.

Mommas with the kids that have super chunky feet, you should try Zappos.com. You can narrow down the search to Super wide shoes only. It was the easiest place to find shoes for my son who had the worlds chunkiest feet and an aversion to shopping.
    Swingkid511

Answer by Swingkid511 at 4:19 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• My son was holding on to stuff and walking by 9 months, and walking by himself at 10. Something I learned, they tend to walk better in shoes. It keeps their feet flat and gives them better balance.

Jewels9308

Answer by Jewels9308 at 9:17 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• at 11 mos with walk behind toys and by 12 mos with out help. I was using shoes when we left the house right away b/c she wanted to walk. I actually found shoes in a wide at payless. We are still in size 2, almost outgrown. I would check them for shoes. Not super fancy but they do the trick.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:20 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• My son was a little behind. He didn't start walking until he was about 18 months old.
    thisloveofmine

Answer by thisloveofmine at 12:38 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• my son started walking by himself at 10 months
    Dylanmom731

Answer by Dylanmom731 at 5:47 PM on Oct. 15, 2009