Can you still breatfeed if your baby is 4 weeks?

I would really like to breastfeed my daughter because she is having so many formula problems.. am i able to?

MaddysMommy7208

Asked by MaddysMommy7208 at 3:31 PM on Oct. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• YES! Put her on the boob ASAP! Also refer to La Leche League. They can give you suggestions on how to lactate if you stopped. If a mom that adopted a baby can do it, SO CAN YOU!
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 3:41 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• yesof course moms who adopt can bf!!. put baby to boob as much as you can. drink lots of liquids. get fernugreek or mothers milk tea. eat oatmeal (cookies are k) if you can get a pump and pump evry 2 hrs for 10 mts. both must important put baby to breast. if you ahve problems with latching get a nipple shield. REMEMENR BF IS ABOUT SUPLY AND DEMAND THE MORE STIMULATION YOUR BREAST HAS THE BETTER CHANCES OF RELACTAION!1. IF YOU CAN ASK YOUR DOCTOR FOR REGLAN IT HELPSO WITH MILK PRODUCTION
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 3:45 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• THANK YOU SO MUCH!
    MaddysMommy7208

Answer by MaddysMommy7208 at 3:51 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• you wlecome!! anything else just msg me
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 3:52 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• heres a link to help
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/adopt/index.html
    and join some relactating groups like the one I am admin of..
    http://www.cafemom.com/group/37539
    Its for FFing moms that want to BF next time or even relactate...

YOU CAN DO THIS!!! It takes some dedication and work, but you can do this
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 4:29 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• Yes you can! I switched my daughter 2-3 weeks old from formula to breast because I was in a coma. Message me if you need any support.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 5:05 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• Yay for you!

My poor niece kept getting diagnosed with "colic." None of her doctors even mentioned that it could be the formula that was causing problems. When she was 8 years old she saw an allergist and was tested and it was discovered that she has a severe milk and soy allergy. Bless her heart, she was on formula for a year with that allergy.

I'm so glad you recognize your baby has formula issues and you're willing to BF. I'm not sure if you'll lactate all on your own after 4 weeks, but if you don't you can call you OB and ask for something to help you produce milk.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 6:11 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• Im getting a little milk but cannot get her to latch
    MaddysMommy7208

Answer by MaddysMommy7208 at 6:16 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• It'll take work on your part...but YES. Youmay need to use a nipple shield to get her to latch at first. A supplemental nursing system is also a useful device.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:33 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• Practice, practice, practice. Do it before she gets really hungry.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 6:34 PM on Oct. 14, 2009