My son is almost 18 months and I am getting ready to stop breastfeeding him. He only breastfeeds before he naps and goes to bed at night. Any ideas on how to stop and what I can add to his routine in place of breastfeeding?

Kim486

Asked by Kim486 at 3:31 PM on Oct. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Just snuggling...maybe while you read etc. He'll miss the closeness w/you more than the milk.
    momrocks1000

Answer by momrocks1000 at 3:34 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• i agree with pp try repalcing it with soemthing else, how about story time. or snuggling. by the way KUDOS!! ON BF FOR SO LONG
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 3:54 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• We replaced nursing time with a sippy cup of milk and a book before naps and bed time. It worked pretty well, my son was also close to 18 months at the time.
    Swingkid511

Answer by Swingkid511 at 4:15 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• I replaced nursing with reading a book at nap time and then very slowly replaced nursing with reading stories a bed time. Took about a month to drop the bedtime feeding for us. I cut 5 minutes each week and replaced with a book. We still read about 4 stories a night (he gets to pick them out) and 2 at nap time. . .
    chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 9:22 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• DD's 18 months and nurses before bed, first thing in the morning, and occasionally before naps. It's awesome that you've made it this far... but do you really want to wean him just as cold and flu season is getting started? I'd try to make it though the winter and wean around 2 if you can stand it. He'll get extra help fighting off colds and flues AND the World Health Organization recommends going to at least 2 years so it's not a bad goal to have. I'm hopping to make it through the winter breastfeeding DD so her immune system will have that extra support.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 1:38 AM on Oct. 15, 2009