A molar already? isn't he a little young?

My son was screaming for more chicken and I noticed a rigid white line in the back of his mouth, it's a molar! He is almost 14 months, isn't that a little young for the molars to start popping through?
I thought they came after 18 months.... maybe I'm wrong but it just seems like he is too young for these still. He only has 6 other teeth, 4 on top 2 on the bottom..... this molar is in the bottom so there is like 1 1/2 inch between his teeth. Is this normal? I thought they would start in the middle and work their way back to the molars.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:32 PM on Oct. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My dd is 14 mo. old and has 4 teeth on top, 4 on bottom and 4 of her molars, she's working on the eye teeth now! So he's not too young! They are a bugger though until they are all in!
    slynnb

Answer by slynnb at 3:43 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• they get two sets of molars before (or around) age two. That is about the time my son's first molars came in. He turned two on October 5th and just last week, his last two 2 year old molars popped in....the other two were there months ago! LOL
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 3:43 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• My son got his first set of molars right around 12 months, and a second set 6 months later. Good luck!
    Swingkid511

Answer by Swingkid511 at 4:14 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• My understanding is they get the irst set at 12 months (on average) and the second at 2 yrs. So, your child is running right about "normal".
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 4:29 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• My DS got his 1 year molars at 13 months old and his 2 year molars at 21 months. Did LO get first teeth early? That is usually a good indication they will get the molars earlier then average. My DD is 27 months and still doesn't have her 2 year molars, but the dentist said he isn't concerned until she hits 4 years and doesn't have them.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:49 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• 15 mos and just cut the last molar 4 days ago. Life was normal and now we are cutting eye teeth. We have 6 on top, and 4 on bottom. We are missing the 2nd set of bottom front teeth. Not to young at all. I wish you luck b/c the attitude we have when teething is horrendous. I want to return her some days. LOL I would never actually do it. I love her and want it to be over soon.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:16 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• I don't know.. My son got them that young.
    thisloveofmine

Answer by thisloveofmine at 12:39 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• DD just turned 18 months and she has 4 molars.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 1:32 AM on Oct. 15, 2009