HOW CAN I MAKE MY 3YEAR OLD SON EAT

MY SON DOESN'T LIKE TO EAT NOTHING BUT CHICKEN NUGGETTS CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP AND TELL ME WHAT TO DO TO MAKE HIM EAT.

Candrice

Asked by Candrice at 3:45 PM on Oct. 14, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Prepare him a healthy meal (works best if it is the same thing you are eating) and don't offer anything else. At first he will refuse and want his chicken nuggets. If he doesn't eat that meal, so be it. When he gets hungry and asks for a snack, bring that meal back out. He will eat when hungry.
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 3:47 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• Make other things in the shape of chicken nuggets. Kids can be visual. If my grandkids are picky about eating I make the potatoes with the smiley faces (frozen section of the grocery) or I cut veggies, meat and cheese in cute shapes

Answer by admckenzie at 3:47 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• AFTER YOU TRY GLOWING4CALEB's answer:i say..

get those funny plates in shapes, kids are all hands on with those things..
    ArlieBeeMee

Answer by ArlieBeeMee at 3:52 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• I call this the air-o-tarian phase! They all go through it. First, make sure that he is drinking water, so he doesn't get dehydrated. Most important, do not create a monster who only eats nuggets, mac & cheese and hot dogs.
    Just keep offering a variety of healthy foods, and eventually he will start eating. Frozen foods are fun to play with, and will get eaten, like peas, blueberries and corn. Chunks of avocado and tofu are loaded with great nutrition, and are fun to squish between little fingers. I have never met a small child who wouldn't eat hummus (lots of calcium, protein, good fats and iron), you can mix it with a mashed egg. Offer cut fruits with yogurt dip, fresh veggies with hummus or salad dressing, cooked whole wheat pasta and veggies with marinara or peanut sauce or cheese sauce. It is very important that you set a great example by eating a variety of healthy foods.

cont.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:57 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• We use the 3 bite rule. You must try 3 bites of what is on your plate; if you don't like it, you fix yourself peanut butter and honey on whole grain toast with a kiwi or apple. Even my husband is expected to follow the rule.
    If you cave now, you will forever have a picky monster on your hands. I promise that your child will not starve. Moms who cave are part of the reason why by the end of next year one half of American children will be both undernourished and overweight. One third of children born in this century will develop type 2 diabetes.
    Keep offering him a variety of healthy foods; stop buying junk foods until the picky phase has passed

Answer by rkoloms at 3:59 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• My peds says there are 2 things you can't make your kids do. Sleep and Eat. Make everyone the same thing. Make him sit at the table with everyone. If he is hungry enough, he'll eat. We started to bargin with out kids. If my 3yo wants to get down before the rest of us and go play he has to take 3 bites of everything on his plate. If he doesn't he has to sit there until someone else (anyone else) is done eating and then he can get up. Usually he eats way more than 3 bites because he finds out he likes it.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:55 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• This sounds like a normal phase for a child to go through. Almost all children go through a similar phase at around this age. I myself have an EXTREMLY picky eater.
    I have just a couple of questions if you dont mind:
    1. Is this pickiness just a recent thing?
    2. If he is a generally picky child, what other kind of things does he eat? Is there some sort of relationship between those foods, such as texture, and color?
    I came accross an interesting article:
    http://www.empoweredparents.com/pickyeating/pickyeating8.htm
    We have to do a nonconventional approach b/c my DD has a Sensory Processing Disorder. Things that help her are playing with food (at non-meal times). Just touching it gets her used to the food. Eventually she will get to where she will lick the food, and then she will try it. It's fun for her, gets the desired results, and it's non-confrontational. It works for us
    Good luck! I hope for the best.
    RachieAnn

Answer by RachieAnn at 6:47 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• I agree with glowing4caleb.
    Also I try letting my 2 year old help by giving her a choice of a few things. Like I will tell her "We are having grilled cheese. Do you want peas or carrots with it tonight?" That way she helped pick the meal and is more likly to eat it.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 8:41 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• Also solicit his input at the grocery so when he sees it land on his plate, he helped pick (and if you are brave) make it with you. That always seems to help. I let me 3 yo pick what he is having for lunch but dinner he has no options. He gets what we get, or nothing. Same for my 16 mo old.
    blogginmomma

Answer by blogginmomma at 11:05 PM on Oct. 14, 2009