MY 9 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER IS SO LAZY WHAT CAN I DID TO CHANGE HER?

ALL MY DAUGHT WANTS TO DO IS PLAY GAMES, AND EAT. bUT SHE IS ALSO A STRAIGHT A STUDENT AM I ASKING TO MUCH OF HER

Candrice

Asked by Candrice at 3:47 PM on Oct. 14, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• no your not asking too much...just because shes a straight A student doesnt mean when shes on her own she will clean up after herself, or know how to do dishes or cook or clean....thats what we are for as parents...to help nurture our children and teach them the skills they need to survive later in life...she can do the basic kid chores by now and should be doing them...my 11yo knows how to do laundry, dishes, and sweep and mop...we also have a 6yo that can pick up after herself (when we keep on her...lol) and just recently learned to vaccuum. both my kids are doing great in school, and even have afterschool activities...and yes i have to fight with them on chores sometimes....but when i get attitude from them i always give them a warning...they will lose thier game time if they dont do thier chores...just put your foot down mama...she will get it in time :))
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 4:51 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• I don't think you are asking to much. My suggestion is to do activities with her. Maybe she will be more interested in them if you are doing it with her.

Jewels9308

Answer by Jewels9308 at 9:00 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• Limit the games to 1 hour a day. Give her her own responsibilities around the house. Like clear your own plate at meals. Pack your own lunch for school. Carry your own laundry to the washer on wash day. Feed her own pet. Completely put away all parts of the game system when done playing. Allow natural consequences to follow. doesn't clear her plate? No plate for the next meal until it's done. Doesn't pack her lunch? No lunch. Doesn't carry her laundry? No clean clothes. Doesn't feed the pet? It goes to live with someone who will feed it. Doesn't clean up the games? No more games for a while. The options are endless but I would start with one and build from here. she is more than old enough to help out.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:38 PM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Definitely find some activities other than games that interest her. I would also limit the games. I have a 9 year old. She is in karate and girl scouts. They keep her plenty busy, but she still has time for her games. Don't let lazy be an option and she'll get more active.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 4:55 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Give her chores, limit her game time, don't label her as "lazy", if you put a label on a kid, that is how they'll behave. When she does her chores, thank her, acknowlege what she did, describe it to her. I know it sounds cheesy but say something like "I see that you washed the counter, Thank you." or "Wow, This bedroom is clean, all the clothes are picked up and the floor is vacuumed." It sounds so cheesy but it works.
    mlregalado

Answer by mlregalado at 6:51 PM on Oct. 16, 2009