Have you heard of "Educational Autism?"

My 5 year olds teachers have suggested that she may have educational autism. I can't find info on this. Any help would be appreciated.

mygirlscome1st

Asked by mygirlscome1st at 3:53 PM on Oct. 14, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Maybe she was referring to having him evaluated by the school psychologist to be tested for autism. Schools (in PA., anyway- my son had it done)- can do testing to see if there's a problem and if assigning a "label" for the purpose of creating an IEP and allowing the child access to needed services is in order. It is not a teacher's place to diagnose, but they can recognize some signs and alert the parents to see if they are willing to have their child evaluated.

My son received his educational diagnosis before his medical diagnosis (which (the medical dx) was given at a Mental/Behavioral hospital over the course of several months and after he was seen by many behavioral specialists and doctors.
    SahmTam

Answer by SahmTam at 10:07 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• I would ask her to submit a request for your DD to be evaluated. I'm sure her opinion is good but if it's autism you need the experts to get involved. "educational autism"?? Ask the school psychologist about that. Teacher shouldn't be diagnosing. She can be sued, seriously.
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 4:18 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• The first anon is as stupid as they come. Ignore such stupidity.

I've never heard of "education autism", and I've been through so many evaluations with my AUTISTIC boys (anon :13 you moron) I would think I might have come across it. But I'm obviously no expert...and I'm pretty sure the teacher isn't either.

Talk to the teacher and get a list of her concerns. Compare them to what you know about how she is at home....talk to the doctor if necessary.

Now, let me go blame my kids behavior on their AUTISM because I'm too lazy to really discipline them like anon :13 thinks I should. (um...this would be the disorder that the EXPERTS say my sons have)
    Anonymous

• WOW, I've heard of stupid people, but usually things like anon 1:13 says are said by drunk, uneducated, MEN!! Who let the dudes on here? Hey, GO AWAY!!!
    Anonymous