when should your child go to sleep by their self?

the father of my child thinks she should be ablue to go to sleep with out us holding her since she turn 3 months and she is now 6 months he no longer in the picture and its just me i am just wondering thats all

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:54 PM on Oct. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my dd stopped being held, unless she was sick, at 4wks. she would go to sleep on her own. my oldest, stopped getting held at about 3 1/2 months. you learn with the first :)
    Anonymous

• I disagree with the first response. Babies need held. They need that love and cuddly time at bedtime. My daughter is 17 months and gets rocked and nursed to sleep every night. I cherish that time with her.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 4:04 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• my ddis 31 mts andshe still needs helping going to sleep. my son is 7 mys and i cosleep with him. i dont mind they i love my kids and am not gonna go dump them and let them cry to me is wrong
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 4:08 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• I had so many sleeping problems with my son that I started putting my daughter down awake so that she could learn to fall asleep on her own from the time she was born pretty much. Not so say she never fell asleep nursing or being held or rocked, just that I tried to get her to learn to go to sleep on her own from the beginning so that I wouldn't have to break her of the habit at 2 years old like with my son. She was a great sleeper as a baby. She had a different personality too though, she would just fuss and then go to sleep where as my son would have screamed and become hysterical, and I wouldn't do that to a baby. So it just depends on you, what you're comfortable with and what your child needs. When we did teach my son to fall asleep on his own at 2, we used the Ferber method, it took 3 days, each day getting a lot easier than the previous and he has slept great ever since.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 4:31 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• Mine all have just always gone to sleep by themselves. It all depends on the kid, really. With ours, we just always put them down when they fell asleep as newborns, and when a little older, we could lay them down and they would then go to sleep.

Works for some, not for others......
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:32 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• It's very different for every baby, but they will do it when they are ready, it is no different then any other milestone. Don't listen to anyone else when it comes to STTN and self soothing, do what feels right and nautral to you.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 4:32 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• From around 3 weeks old, we have our cuddle and snuggle time and then he lays down in his crib and goes to sleep.

Answer by missanc at 5:17 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• My daughter still goes to sleep being held for her naps but very seldom at night anymore and she is 14 months old. At night she just won't fall asleep anymore in my arms, she must just want that wind down time alone in her crib. She is my only child and I'm gonna tell you what people told me and that is that your kids grow up too fast so hold them while you can! There is nothing wrong with holding her unless she sleeps better without being held til she sleeps. Enjoy her being little while you can!
    slynnb

Answer by slynnb at 5:17 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• Some kids need to be held until they are 3.

One of the great things about being a single mother is you don't have someone telling you what to do! I am sorry if you are sad he is gone.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:18 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• I think we held our son til 1 IF he needed or wanted it. He CAN go to bed by himself but he had colic so bad when he was little, we eat it up any chance we can now..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:58 PM on Oct. 14, 2009