Survival, what would you do if your husband lost his job?

Assuming any job, at any position, without job loss compensation.

Example-
military - your husband's MOS was put on a freeze and cutbacks followed
Gov't (city, state or fed)- layoff
Civilian - fired
& all without financial compensation.

What actions would you do for survival?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:58 PM on Oct. 14, 2009 in Money & Work

• i would cry. then go apply for unemployment... then look for job. even if it was the grocery store. something is better than nothing.
    Anonymous

• well I would tap into my emergency savings and keep the family comfortable while I apply for government assistance. At the same time I would be looking for ways to make more money and focus exclusively on the friendship of my marriage.

sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 4:09 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• Yes, I hear the Navy are not re-inlisting ppl.

Start doing some homework on where they will be moving you to final destination. Do search on state has the lowest employment rate. Housing is reasonable; good schools; low crime rate; reasonable weather and so forth. Having connections with former employers would help also.

Might join the reserves or different branch of service. Also, put in paperwork for a Civil Service job.
    Anonymous

• He would flip hamburgers, go back to school, sell cars, do yard work, whatever he could to help with the finances. If unemployment was available, we would cut back and he would be a stay at home Dad! I am actually afraid I am going to be the one laid off, so I know the scary feeling! Good luck!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 4:10 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• we would just get rid of a few things and go on.. i make the same amount as he does, and by christmas ill be making more.. so im not worried.. he would be a stay at home dad..
    ArlieBeeMee

Answer by ArlieBeeMee at 4:11 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• i already work full time and our benefits are in my name so it would give him the time and opportunity to open his own art studio like he's always wanted. we'd cut down to the bare essentials, no more cable or smart phones, no more eating out just because, etc., until he were able to land a new job or begin selling his art for profit.
    mellypoo

Answer by mellypoo at 4:13 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• I have been in this situation. We were okay. We used our savings until he found a job 6 weeks later. Thank Goodness. I also started working from home to help us out. Times are tough for many people right now. It's very important to having a big savings for emergencies like this. I'm thankful for everything we have.
    mommy2joeynabby

Answer by mommy2joeynabby at 4:22 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• I started working from home and eventually will replace his income so there won't be any financial worries!
    nanaevelyn

Answer by nanaevelyn at 4:24 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• Well, i was just in this situation this past february.. I was 7 months pregnant with our third child, and hubby lost his job. We lost that income PLUS our insurance. It was very stressful. My hubbs got on unemployment and then his old job appealed it and we lost it. Another let down. He worked odd jobs here and there, b/c NOBODY is hiring.. He even applied at fast food. I will be honest with you. It was very stressful, but you know what, we have made it. He's working a crap job right now, but its money. We did downgrade into an apartment for right now, and its still stressful at sometimes, but we make it. I did get us on foodstamps which help us tremendously.. I tell anyone in this situation, just keep your head up, think positive, and everything ends up working itself out in the end. :)
    Chrissy0918

Answer by Chrissy0918 at 4:28 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• PANIC!
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 5:15 PM on Oct. 14, 2009