What do you think of naming a German shephard Rommel?

General Rommel was a German officer in WWII who was one of the very few not convicted of any war crimes at the Nuremburg trials. He also assisted in planning an assasination attempt of Hitler. My husband really likes this name but I would rather go with Roland, also a German name. I just don't want people who don't know the full story of Rommel to think we named our dog after a Nazi just because he is a German shepherd. Rommel also disobeyed direct orders to excute his captives. idk what are your thoughts?

katie23

Asked by katie23 at 4:35 PM on Oct. 14, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Go with Roland...
    I'm german and even I find that a little bit offensive.
    crazypink

Answer by crazypink at 4:42 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• I am of German descent had a German surname until I got married so I've heard pretty much all the Nazi wisecracks there are. I don't think many people know Rommel's story and it's best to go with Roland. I think you have the right idea.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 4:52 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• We have 2 Shepherds, the males name is Winston, I think that's a good name for him. If I were to name one again it would be Sargent. I'm not crazy about the name Rommel for a dog. Roland just doesn't seem like a dogs name..
    Oh and our female Shepherds name is Tara.. My Hubby named her, I'm not crazy about that name, but I am crazy about her so the name doesn't really matter.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 5:15 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• it just reminds me of that cartoon (the creature thing that cooks.. messes up everything..) the assistant says it all the time.. Rommel Rommel
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 6:17 PM on Oct. 14, 2009