Post surgery: administering pain meds

Hi all, my 19 month old had outpatient surgery this morning and is home and seems to be in little pain: he has been playing quite normally.

I need to give him codeine every 6 hours for the first two days which means having to wake him just to give him his syrup. I feel bad about waking him up from a deep sleep because he's healing and will cry and have a hard time falling back to sleep again (if I can get him to take the syrup while he's angry at being woken up). On the other hand, I'm worried that if I wait until he wakes up on his own, he'll be in pain because the last dose has worn off.

I'd appreciate your experience, please. Many thanks!

thebruce

Asked by thebruce at 4:37 PM on Oct. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• As a nurse and a Mom I will say wake him up if that is precisely how it was ordered. Another thing to remember ...It is easier to keep pain under control than it is to let it get out of control and try to ease it. It is only two days. Remember to give fluids as ordered to avoid dehydration.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:44 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• i remember asking my doc this when my daughter had her finger sewn...and he said to let her sleep if she sleeps...if she wakes up he said worry about the pain meds then...
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 4:44 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• Is the medication liquid? Can you give it to him while he is asleep, bit by bit? That is what we did with my DD when she needed medication..
    Anonymous