Potty training....my 3 yr old son DOES NOT want to use the potty...any helpful hints?

My 3 yr old is completely happy wearing diapers...he does not want to use the potty..I feel like I have tried EVERYTHING! I don't know what else to do. Anyone else having/had this problem? Any advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:48 PM on Oct. 14, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Bribe him. My son wanted a Big Wheel. I told him that if I didn't have to buy the diapers I could buy the Big Wheel. He never went in a diaper again and we went and got the Big Wheel.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:50 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• wow bribery might have worked for the PP but it could turn into a monster too...it did for me with my daughter..i bribed her to eat her food and for a week there she fought with me every night at dinner about getting a toy if she ate her food...yea not good
    as far as potty training, if hes showing no interest back off for a couple months, then try again...my two girls were BOTH that way..refused to do it...then after a couple months we tried again and it worked! i know my neighbor just put her son in big boy underwear and he got the idea, he didnt liek the feel of wet undies....so both ideas might work!
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 4:55 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• i def suggest getting rid of the diapers, they get too cozy and dont mind wetting/dirtying them. my SS is just about potty trained we just are finishing bed time. i know if he stays in his pull up in the morning, he will wet it everytime! we started a potty reward chart for #2. he gets a sticker everytime he goes. and when the chart is full he gets a prize. so he hasnt pooped his pants since! we also have a potty book geared for kids. his dad reads it to him in the living room, or he thinks that someone should be in the bathroom with him all the time.
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 5:29 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• My son started potty training at 15 months. He is 3.5 now and STILL refuses to use the potty! We have tried everything from bribes to praise to pullups... Nothing has worked. The only thing that's working at all is that we have a 2 year old that wants to train. So we take them both in every 45 mins, reward them with magnets and pennies and make a BIG deal out of his little brother... He's still fighting but it's getting better cause he sees his brother getting things he isn't... All I can say is GOOD LUCK!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:52 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• My dd did this for a while we tried everything. What worked for us was calling the diapers baby diaper, the pull ups baby underwear and regular under wear "big girl Underwear" She doesnt like to be put in the same category as her little sister so she can now make is a little over half the day with out an accident.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 8:36 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• I was having problems potty training and what i did was go to wal mart and get those colored rocks and a jar. Everytime he would use the bathroom he would get a "pebble", which he would get to choose the color, and when he gets five he can have a prize, which you can go get those liitle toys at the dollar general or even a large bag of candy that they gets to pick 1 piece from. and now that he is potty trained i have used it for him going in there on his own or lifting the toilet seat up and putting it back down. I have also started to use it to teach resposibility to where he now feeds the cat when we get home.
    Rachell25

Answer by Rachell25 at 2:06 PM on Oct. 16, 2009