wanting to wean

i need to wean, breastfeeding this girl is drivn me crazy. it was so easy the first time i thought id b able to do it again, but this child had to b difficult. any tips to get started?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:45 PM on Oct. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Don't ask here because you'll only receive answers attacking you saying you're selfish for wanting to stop.....

Talk to someone locally, your doctor, a lactation consultant, etc...but not here.
    Anonymous

• How old is the baby? What is the problem? Why do you think artificial feeding will make it easier?
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:00 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• Substiute 1 feeding during the day for formula for a week, then another for a week...leave the night time and nap nursings until last....you may have to have someone else feed her too and you may have to even be out of the room or she will not eat since she knows the 'real' stuff is still here.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 6:06 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• The best way to wean depends on the age of your baby. Giving us the age would better help us advise you.

The one piece advice I can give regardless of age is you need to wean slowly. Weaning too fast isn't just rough on baby, it's also rough on you. You will get super engorged, and can even develop mastitis if you wean too fast. When I weaned mine she was nearly 18 months old, so wasn't feeding as much as a newborn would be. But I weaned her by dropping 1 feeding per week. I never got engorged weaning this way and the only feeding she had a tough time dropping was the bedtime feeding. I also had a sippy cup of water available to her all day long because I knew she'd be thirsty. If you're baby is still young, you will have to replace each missed feeding with a bottle of formula so that she's still getting all the nutrients needed.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 6:06 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• Drop one feeding per week till gone. That's really all there is to it.

But be aware that some of the things that may be driving you crazy won't go away. If baby is clingy, baby will STILL be clingy. If baby doesn't sleep, baby STILL won't sleep.

Feel free to message me if there is anything more specific you'd like to talk about off the forum. There are ways around pretty much everything.

(And for the Anon above....not selfish AT ALL.)

Answer by gdiamante at 6:31 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• hon i didt bf my first one she was ff. and she is 31 mts and is like my shadow. but like gdiamente sdaid drop one feeding.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 7:39 PM on Oct. 14, 2009