Quick question about my 6 month old?

My daughter usually wakes up once in the night but for the past three nights she's been waking up and not going back to sleep. She'll fall asleep and when I go to lay her down she starts screaming bloody murder. I don't think she's sick because she doesn't have a fever or anything. I just don't know what to do because she'll be up for like 4 hours straight. My friend told me I just have to let her scream and I did last night but it's hard to sleep with a screaming baby. I wish I could just make her happy.. What's going on? Is it normal?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:01 PM on Oct. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I agree on the teething thing - that would be my first guess. Try a little motrin and see if that helps. If that isn't it...then at 6 mo., your baby has probably figured out how to "work you." If you don't want to let her cry it out, then go in there, firmly tell her it is time for bed, repeat the bedtime routine and leave again. I did this with my daughter and each time I had to go in there in a single night, I would let her cry a little longer (10 min. the first time, 15 the second, 20 the third, etc.) Eventually, they figure out that you mean business. However, in hindsight, I have the type of daughter that just cannot be consoled when she makes her mind up about it...I really do have to let her cry it out. Even now, when she's sick or teething, etc. (she is 18 mo.), she won't sleep with me if she's having a rough night, she won't be cuddles, etc...she just needs to cry until she falls back asleep.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 7:07 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• I am not a big let them cry it out person, maybe for 10 minutes or so, but that it is it. She is prbobably napping a little too much in the daytime, and is looking for some adventure at night LOL. I would take about 15 minutes off every nap in the daytime and see if she adjusts better. She might be getting teeth as well. Does she go back to sleep if you rock her or does she just want to play? I used to sit by the crib and just talk to DS until he went back to sleep--one good thing when they are teenagers you won't ever be able to get them out of bed LOL--Good Luck!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 6:06 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• My best guess would be teething. Maybe you could give her some motrin before bed to see if that helps. It's good for 8 hours. If she's waking up because she's in pain this should help. Also, it is really easy for a baby to develop habits both good and bad. Babies are smarter than we give them credit for and she could've quickly figured out if she's persistant then she can have an all night party with Mommy. Whenever my LO changes his sleeping habits, if they haven't returned to normal on their own after a day or two I let him CIO. Usually he will cry all of 5 minutes before he is asleep for the rest of the night.
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 6:08 PM on Oct. 14, 2009