Can u buy over the counter cough medicine for a 15 month????

How much to give?????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:07 PM on Oct. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Call a pharmacist for the dose...they will need to know the ingredients and the weight of the child
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 6:08 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• No. The most you can get over the counter is Tylenol. They pulled all infant cough cold medicine about 2 years ago because people were abusing it and over dosing their kids. If you have a health food store nearby try some marshmallow root extract. Rub it on their chest as the taste is very bitter.
    jupiter84

Answer by jupiter84 at 6:12 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• Jadem...
    Call a pharmacist for the dose...they will need to know the ingredients and the weight of the child

I work in a pharmacy and have never heard my pharmacist do this. They always tell you to see your Dr. I believe because of the warnings on the label they won't give a recommendation.
    jupiter84

Answer by jupiter84 at 6:15 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• It is all with my doctors consent...I only give if she says it's ok.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 6:16 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• No! Actually a pharmacist and a doctor told me that small children should not be given ANY type of cold or cough medicine. They need to be coughing. The body is doing it fot a good reason. I was told to keep airways clear with a saline nasal wash, and use a vaporiser in their room at night. There were actually severtal recalls on regular kids cough meds last year,so be careful.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 6:29 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• One thing to keep in mind that some of the recalls were due to the labeling on the products that told a dose for under 2/4...and the fact that parents were dosing their kids without having the correct dose or using several different meds that are all in the same family and OD'ing their children.
    Again, this is why I always contact my MD and the pharmacist before dosing my 2 yr old. And yes Steff...coughing can be productive but when they cannot get any sleep because of it, they do need something to help occasionally.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 6:32 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• No.
    Anonymous

• The latest recommendation is that you NOT give over the counter cold and allergy meds without a doctors' consent before the age of six. Try a humidifier. If it lasts more than a day or so, see your pediatrician.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 7:17 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• ONLY if the doctor recommends it, and in that case, they will tell you specifically what to use and what dose to give.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:45 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• honey is a natural cough surpressant (and quite yummy) Very warm, strong peppermint tea helps to sooth the throat. Other then that. . . just with a doc's script. . .
    chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 9:16 PM on Oct. 14, 2009