are you going to get your child the h1n1 vaccine?

i have a 19 month old and a 3 month old, and i know the younger one cant get the vaccine, but im on the fence about getting it for my oldest. On the one hand its still a pretty new vaccine, and when it was administered in '76 it was linked to guillan barret syndrome. On the other hand, 76 children have died so far due to swine flu in the united states. what to do???

disheveled

Asked by disheveled at 6:24 PM on Oct. 14, 2009 in General Parenting

• NOPE!
    mominbolt

Answer by mominbolt at 6:24 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• Im not we have no idea what the long term effects are can it cause infertility other diseases?? Im just not takin my baby out anywhere as much as possible and washing my hands as much as possible and keepin my son(6months) away from anyone who even looks the slightest bit sick the way i see it if my son get sswine flu thats nature but if i get him that shot and he god forbids he dies or gets sick or something else that is totally my fault
    aidensmama8

Answer by aidensmama8 at 6:39 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• No
    3rdDay

Answer by 3rdDay at 6:41 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• No way no how!
    mollgirl

Answer by mollgirl at 6:51 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• I think I might because of the new information that the CDC is releasing about the recent pediatric deaths attributed to H1N1. These numbers are higher than expected, higher than with the normal seasonal flu. Here's what the CDC website has to say:

•The proportion of deaths attributed to pneumonia and influenza (P&I) based on the 122 Cities Report has increased and now exceeds what is normally expected at this time of year. In addition, 19 flu-related pediatric deaths were reported this week; 16 of these deaths were confirmed 2009 H1N1 and 3 were unsubtyped influenza A and likely to be 2009 H1N1. A total of 76 laboratory confirmed 2009 H1N1 pediatric deaths have been reported to CDC since April.

CONT...
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 7:18 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• •Thirty-seven states are reporting widespread influenza activity at this time. They are: Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Texas, Tennessee, Virginia, Washington, and Wyoming. Any reports of widespread influenza activity in September and October are very unusual.
    •Almost all of the influenza viruses identified so far are 2009 H1N1 influenza A viruses. These viruses remain similar to the virus chosen for the 2009 H1N1 vaccine, and remain susceptible to the antiviral drugs oseltamivir and zanamivir with rare exception.
    AprilDJC

• You are right about the link to GB. That is what scares me, the squalene in it. I am on the fence too. A friend's son just had swine and she said for him, his breathing was really rapid and hardly any air was passing through. Her point was NOT TO WAIT AND SEE with these symptoms but to go in ASAP. He was put on prednisone, Tamiflu and albuterol and is fine now. Also 103 fever and horrendous cough.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 7:22 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• HELL NO!
    Roomfor1more

Answer by Roomfor1more at 7:37 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• Already did.

But we're the sort that get seasonal flue shots every year, so it's not too big of a jump for us. So far no side effects at all.
    Anonymous

• Uh... no. We already had it (the flu) here at our house. My 9 yr old has it this week and she's the last of them to get it. It's not fun, but no big deal really either. I fear the vaccine more than the actual virus.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 7:55 PM on Oct. 14, 2009