Cause for concern?

OK so we thought our DS was teething because of the constant screaming in our house and I still think he is trying to get new teeth, but for the last week he is screaming bloody murder if he is in his high chair and there is no food. He has been eating non-stop since the week of his 1st birthday. My concern is when does his crying become something we should ask our Dr. about? Tonight he was in his high chair barely a minute... I hadn't even had time to grab his plate and he started this screaming. BLOODY MURDER!!! As soon as he finished what I put on his tray the screaming started again. He KNEW I was about to hand him more but it was like he needed it so badly he just HAD to have more. He eats 3 meals a day and has a snack either before or after his naps. Could he still be THAT hungry? Any ideas?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:37 PM on Oct. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• is he screaming throwing a fit/crying or is it that he just found a way to voice himself? He may notice that this gets a reaction from you and is using it to manipulate you.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 6:39 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• OP~ Screaming, like he is genuinely upset and crying about needing food. We don't react to it... we just move on like it's not happening. It's affecting our 3 year old though... so I'm curious what i should do next.

Anonymous

• I'd ride it out for a bit. SOunds to me like impatient toddler behavior. You might try giving him slightly more food at a time (if you can). Continue to not respond to the screaming. Mention it to you doctor if it really starts to affect you family or if it persists.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 6:46 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• Try having some finger food - cheerios, crackers, teething biscuit on his hi chair tray BEFORE you sit him in it. Try a good handful to last him a while or for him to suck on and chomp on. My daughter used to stay calm waiting for dinner if she had a pizza crust to slobber on about that age. I used to cut crusts off of pizzas as soon as they were ready or delivered and freeze them. They defrost reall fast.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 7:03 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• It might actually be hunger. My oldest ate like a teenager!! People were shocked at the food he could put away. He started waking in the middle of the night screaming. One evening I fed him until he started refusing food - he ate for over an hour and a ton of food! He slept that night. I would try feeding him more snacks or bigger snacks and make sure that he is the one who stops eating. Sometimes when my kids slow down and the older ones are done I just end the meal. But I forget that the little ones could probably keep eating!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 7:06 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• my daughter screams bloody murder as well but for any reason really..... i ignored it at first and then tryed time out.....
    at first it was bacasue i wasnt giving her enough attention or yes she was hungry or bored, loney, upset, plyaing and it became constant....
    i dont want to sound like a bad mother, but its got to the point where i couldnt ignore it and i was yelling at her to be quiet, it got so bad i slapped her one time.. she didnt scream the rest of the day.. but that was the last time..
    she has since calmed her screaming. but still it is often to drive me nuts.
    if it is truly becasue he is hungry feed him. but other then that.
    go up to him in his ear in a small voice say, if you can not quietly wait then im am leaving the room untill you do. and proceeed to walk around the corner and announce bye..
    this has worked wiht my daughter countless times.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:53 AM on Oct. 15, 2009