Why am I selfish?

I am happy with my health care and I am OK with the amount of taxes I pay. Why am I called selfish for not wanting this "change" because it in my eyes it will increase my taxes (eventually!) and diminish the quality of my health care? Why do I (and those like me) have to give up something I have worked many, many years for? Why aren't those that are asking me to give these things up considered selfish?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:49 PM on Oct. 14, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Yes, I'd be willing, at this point, to give up some, if reform would mean more could be included and for a longer amount of time& with the same quality-

Maybe you can because your children are grown and you have less responsibility both financially and for health care, but I do not have that luxury... when I say me, I actually mean WE, I have kids that depend on me to provide the BEST for them and now I am selfish because I need to sacrifice what is best for me (my family) or I am selfish...It is easy to give up what does not actually affect you... your kids are out of the house, mine are there still depending on me! Why are someone elses kids more important than mine? Why can't my family be my priority?
    Anonymous

• I don't think you are, any more than anyone else in the world is. If you're happy, great.

Me, I'm not so happy with my health care but it's the best I can manage. The ones I see as selfish are the insurance companies.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:52 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• The ones I see as selfish are the insurance companies.

I agree
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 6:53 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• I don't think that this is selfish either. I am with you on this.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 6:57 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• The insurance companies are greedy bastards and need to be brought down! They care more about making a dollar than our lives.
    Anonymous

• OK, but bringing them down means bringing down the people happy with their coverage as well. Many, many companies make tons of money- should they be brought down as well?
    Anonymous

• Your not selfish.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 7:00 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• Nope not selfish at all....
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 7:01 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• You are just out of step with the socialist mind-set which has been planted in the country.

Interestingly, those who lead Americans in adopting socialist ideas, and who sway popular opinion by labelling independence and responsibility as "selfishness", are members of a wealthy elite circle (elite means they consider themselves more intelligent than those who disagree with them, and they assume that their superiority gives them license to direct what the common people are to do in their lives.)

So the "unselfish" sacrifices which socialist programs will force on us common folks will not touch the elite who are dictating those programs ... White House & Congress, for instance, will not be dumped onto the gov't health care. ... Environmental activists stand to gain $millions from carbon emissions controls, AND I would bet that they didn't own any of the orchards which were destroyed in CA's central valley over a bait fish !
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 7:04 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• This is the only country in the industrialized world that has a for profit HCS.
    An MrI of the neck in Japan costs 105 US dollars.
    The exact, same quality MRI in the US costs 1400 dollars. WHY?

Sorry this system is broken and not viable for the long term.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 7:06 PM on Oct. 14, 2009