Very clingy 7 month old, what can I do?

I love my son, but he is very clingy. He has never spent a full night outside of my bed (and yes, I try every night). He won't sleep longer than 5 minutes unless he's being held/cuddled. He screams whenever I leave the room, even if someone else is holding him. Often he screams when I'm in the room but someone else is holding him. As soon as I'm holding him again, the screaming stops.

There are times when I have to take him into the bathroom with me so I can use the toilet or get a bath. I thought he'd grow out of it, but he hasn't yet, and it's very exhausting, not to mention it's keeping me from getting things done around the house. It's also upsetting to my four year because when she wants some mommy time, I have to pass the baby off, and he usually screams.

Is there anything we can do? Is there still a chance he'll grow out of it? I thought separation anxiety was a toddler thing.

crashkitty

Asked by crashkitty at 6:54 PM on Oct. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• nah that anxiety can start at 6-7 months. i worked in a daycare, and there were babies at like 4-5 months who would only let certain ppl feed them even! As far as the bathroom, i would put your son in a stationary item like the exersaucer and say mommy has to potty i'll be right back. ya they dont know what you're saying but if you leave the room calm, instead of anticipating the screams, it may start to calm him. when you come back, pick him up give him a kiss, then put him down to play. i know ppl say walkers are bad, but if you use it say, while you're washing dishes, he can be close to you while you're getting some work done. with other ppl, well he's just going to have to spend more time with them before that freak out stage happens. and if you or the other person is anticipating screams and anxiety again, he will know, and feed off of it. i hope i helped at least a little GL!
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 6:59 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• seperation anxiety can start at 6 months. If your son is fed, changed, healthy, and nothing else is wrong with him, there is NOTHING wrong with letting him cry it out. sure, cuddle with him when you can, but you do have other things to do, like you said, you have a 4 yr old that wants attention. if you have to, sit in him down on the floor with some toys and if he cries, let him cry, while you do something with your 4yr old. or maybe try to get the 4yr old to play with him, like have him between your legs and she roll a ball to him and you "help" him roll the ball back to her. as for the bath, why don't you take one after they're asleep, or have your SO watch him? just tune him out, if he's with dad, i'm assuming he'll be in good hands?

when i wanted a bath and my kids cried for me, daddy had him. i learned quick how to tune them out lol
    Anonymous

• This is normal, and yes, he'll grow out of it.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:37 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• Separation anxiety happens first at about 6 months, but then again at 12, 18, 24 mos, etc. as their sense of awareness of their surroundings grows. As their awareness grows, so do their fears until they learn that they will be OK. Just understand it's a phase that will only last a few weeks. (then come again, lol!)
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 7:44 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• PS-The more that you comfort him, the faster that he will become secure enough to stop the clinginess. You are taking his fears seriously and he will continue to trust you when you tell him that he's OK.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 7:46 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• Of course he will grow out of it! He is a normal 7 month old baby. Tuck him in a baby sling and life will be much easier.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:49 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• Smother him in love. The more secure he feels with you the more secure he'll feel away from you.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 9:06 PM on Oct. 14, 2009