How do you cope with being a single parent, and still living with your parents?

I'am a single mother of two 5 & 3, a full time student & living in my mothers basement i;am finding this situation more stressful then helpful, so how do i cope with this, or do i put college on hold work a full time job or 2 & get out on my own? Any advice would help

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:08 PM on Oct. 14, 2009 in Money & Work

• I agree with godswk its better to get your life together now and sacrifice now rather than the next twenty years making bad money because you didnt get a degree there is no shame in bettering yourself
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:14 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• How close are you to finishing college... I would say finish and then get a better job than what you could get now.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 7:09 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• My adult son (no partner no kids) temporarily lives in our basement. Do your kids sleep in there with you? Where's your bathroom, toilet and shower? Do you have meals with your mom? dad? other silbings? Who disciplines your kids?
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 7:17 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• just an afterthought. I was thinking by asking all those questions if you're all living in a dark basement like ours is (but it's finished and heated and has airconditioning for summer plus he my son has no kids just a girlfriend) ... if you and kids living in darkness most of time that is not healthy. Just try making a list of pros and cons of finances, babysitting, meals, housework, homework etc.

You should be proud of what you're doing - going to school and raising kids. When my husband was in college we had two kids. I was a homemaker but still it was hard having husband be a college student.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 7:29 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• I was a single mom with 3 kids. We were able to live in family housing and survived with financial aid and child support. You may be able to live on your own and go to school.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:41 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• Getting more education is your ticket to making your life better. Tough it out, then you will not have to return.
    Godswk

Answer by Godswk at 7:42 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• Put college on hold* or do it part-time.

Go find a job with benefits.

Then find a place of your own with school near by.

*Normally I would say education but given the times as they are and many ppl out there with a higher education aren’t even doing well in securing a job. Getting a job is better at the moment and perhaps later on getting that higher education will be good. Some companies do pay for that education too.

Good luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:12 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• Finish your education. This is the best road to a secure future for you and your children. If you have not already done so, file for child support.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:34 AM on Oct. 15, 2009