Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does any know about new 9/11 G.I bill?(military)

Hi, my hubby is in the Air Force for almost 10 years.
He only has four strips, but he's a hard working man.

He'd like to transfer his 9/11 GI bill to me so I can go to college.
But, the thing is that I'm going to go to community college first, so I don't think I'm going to use up all the money provided for us.

After I'm done with my Associate degree in the future, can I roll over the left over money(subsidy) to my husband for another time? My hubby wants to earn the Master degree sometime.

It's such a heartbreaking that my hubby's willing to sacrifice his educational enthusiasm over my own education.

Is there any way that I can roll it over to my husband?
Or is it just one time thing?


Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 7:15 PM on Oct. 14, 2009 in Money & Work

Answers (3)
  • Main difference is one you get a housing allownace. Im pretty sure you can give him the benefits.

    But not sure,my hubby gets the chapter 30.

    He's eligible but he usually schools online.

    Answer by IraqiVetWife at 7:21 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

  • Nope. The GI bill will only pay for one degree. Once a degree is obtained, it's off the table.

    Answer by asaffell at 7:32 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

  • The new GI Bill has good and bad points vs the Ch. 30. But once it's been transferred to you, it can't be transferred back. I would take some time to decide how it will benefit you the most, and then figure out if it's worth it. If your husband will be going to school online, it won't pay him as much b/c you only get the housing allowance if you do at least one course on a physical campus. Good luck!

    Answer by kikikiki at 8:06 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.