Any mom of a baby who never or took a looong time to sleep through the night

Did you ever find out why your LO kept waking up? What kind of things have you tried?

Apr1l

Asked by Apr1l at 8:16 PM on Oct. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son was/is a difficult sleeper. We just co-slept with him until he was 3. He still sleeps fitfully sometimes, but he's dealing with it in his own room. He's 4 now.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 8:19 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• My dd woke up in every 3hrs or so until she was 14 months old. She woke up for a bottle. When she was 14 months, she got pnuemonia and the meds she was on knocked her out all night. SHe was on them for 10 days- it felt like I was drinking from the fountain of youth after getting up two and three times a night for so long then getting 10 days straight of 11-12 hrs a night.

On the 11th night, the first night without the meds, she woke up for her typical midnight bottle. I wanted to cry and pull my hair out. But after only maybe 2-3 minutes of fussing (not even all out crying) she fell back asleep and slept till 7am. She has been sleeping through the night ever since, and she is now 4 yrs old.
    ave.maria.

Answer by ave.maria. at 8:27 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• Richard Ferber. Go to borders and get his book. It works wonders. I have twins and had to do something to get them to sleep through the night. my sister in law suggested ferber and my babies sleep from 730 pm to 630 am without waking or feeding etc. and they have since they were 6 months.
    keldel

Answer by keldel at 8:46 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• My DS would wake every two hours to feed until I bed broke him (by that I mean him putting himself to sleep in his own bed) He was 6 months old when we did Baby bootcamp as I call it most people call it CIO. I felt more like I was being a drill sergant it was so hard and it took my son 2 weeks of pretty much constant crying until one night no crying and from then on he sleeps through the night 98% of the time. For me it was the hardest 2 weeks, I would go in and let him calm in his crib then leave him again and he would cry....god is was horrible but the outcome has been worth it. It has really help in my DS's development since then he has less stranger anxiety and knows that if the door is shut Mommy is just on the other side.
    ArmyWife112908

Answer by ArmyWife112908 at 8:49 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• She was hungry so I fed her.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 8:56 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• My son didn't sleep through the night until he was 11 months... and still at 15 months he wakes a couple of times/week.
    We tried EVERYTHING... the thing that worked the best was The book Solve your child's sleep problems by Ferber. That took the frequent night wakings (2-4 times/night) down to only one/night and now only a couple times/week.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 8:56 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• My youngest son didn't sleep routinely through the night until he was 17 months old. No reason..just him. My grandson didn't sleep through the night routinely until after his 3rd birthday. He was not breathing at all through his nose.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:03 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• Babies just aren't designed to sleep 12 hours straight every night. They have small stomachs and they need to eat often. They need to be close to mommy & daddy, and they wake up for comfort. You can't force a baby to walk or meet other developmental milestones before it's ready, so why do people think babies need to sleep through the night before they are ready?
    raybird1031

Answer by raybird1031 at 9:54 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• How old is the baby? Depending on age I would just let them cry it out. I know some people hate that method and I think it's just as hard on the mother as on the baby, but really it takes only 3 days. First day with lots of crying second day with less and third day is usually almost none. Whatever method you decide to go with in the end stick with it. Nothing is quite as bad as confusing the baby, they work best with predictability.
    Swingkid511

Answer by Swingkid511 at 11:14 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• baby is 6 months old and he wakes throughout the night since he was born we've tried cuddling, teething tabs, gripe water, baby orajel, he doesn't have colic because he can be soothed, but he just will wake up the next hour.
    Apr1l

Answer by Apr1l at 9:49 AM on Oct. 15, 2009