Finances!! I'm so stressed out!!

Well, we just bought our first home and have been spending money like water! I didn't even realize how much we've been spending on little upgrades, necessities, decorating and getting security system, cable, phone etc. installed.

On top of that my husband just deployed, about a week and a half after we moved in. He spent a lot on things he needed for the deployment.

Now, our savings account is down from about $2500 to only $700! We get paid tomorrow, but all but $275 is going to bills. I did some math and I believe (normally hubby does finances, so I'm doing the best I can) starting in November, we will have an extra $1000 after all bills are paid.

Well, I can't even talk to him about all this, and I just feel so upset! I feel like we really need to buckle down and get our savings back up. I'm supposed to fly home for Christmas ($550) and I owe $300 to my school and I can't even pay that right now! So my question is cnt

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:20 PM on Oct. 14, 2009 in Money & Work

• What are some good ways for me to save? I already clip coupons, and am a very smart shopper. It's just my daughter and I, so any great ideas for me? Words of advice? I'm just so stressed now!

We will have our savings back up soon. The military actually owes my hubby several thousand for a signing bonus and we've been expecting that for nearly a year now. In addition, we will get a large tax refund in January, so that will help.

I just never thought of us as being irresponsible with money, and I can hardly believe we spent so much without realizing it!
    Anonymous

• Shop online, it will give you money back and you will save money on gas. This is where I shop Blastoff

Do some work part time on your spare time.

I do both of these things with 1 company.

Youc an see what I do for extra income by going here:

http://www.cafemom.com/group/84490/forums/read/10039258/_Private_Business_Reception

IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 8:31 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• Cancel cable for one. Pay attention to your other utilities. Turn the lights off in the rooms you're not in, keep the windows/doors shut tight in cold weather. Open your shades wide at mid-day to get as much sun/heat in. Try non-brand name items when you shop. Buy extra sale items if it's something you use alot of. Check out the 2nd hand stores for decorations for your new home.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 8:31 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• Ask yourself is the trip home for Christmas really necessary? Because not only is it $550 you will be spending money once you leave the house.

Cut out the TV cable since it’s just you and your dd.

If you have a 2nd car cut out the car insurance or up the deductable.

No gift this holiday for yours or his family members. PPL will understand because seems a lot ppl are in the same boat.
    Anonymous

• Cancel regular phoneservice and use a magicjack instead (www.magicjack.com, we payed 59.99 for 5 years)
    Cancel cable TV and use Netflix instead (they have livestreaming for your Xbox or computer)
    If you have 2 cars get rid of one car.
    You are military, just go grocery shopping at the comissary and use coupons.
    And if your husband is deployed you are eligible for - I think - 15 or 17 hours of free daycare a week, maybe you can find a job in those hours.
    crazypink

Answer by crazypink at 8:37 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• If you did that without racking up debt, that's not so terrible. If you maxed out credit cards on top of dipping into savings....then ouch! I'm now an avid Dave Ramsey fan, and still in the early stages of building an emergency fund. You might want to check out his books, which give great advice. Basically, you need a budget..."on purpose, on paper". Spend only what's in that budget, and when the money is spent on that item for the month....that's it...no more until next month...unless you find somewhere else in the budget to cut from. You've already learned how fast money leaves your hand when you don't have a budget and a plan. Remember that lesson!
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 9:59 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• I'm a stay at home mom with two boys. I work with a great group of moms. we lift each other up to reach our goals If you would be interest in it. Just contact me at my web site.

www.internetceomoms.com/deidrehill

this well help with your finances.
    Tigeress444

Answer by Tigeress444 at 10:12 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• The trip to MI is necessary. I'm not spending the holidays by myself with a deployed hubby, and I'll be going home for three weeks. I'm staying with parents who pay for everything, so that's not an issue. Plus my mom has since offered to pay for our tickets.

Phone can't go because we have an alarm system set up through the phone.

And halfpint ny, we do not even have credit cards. The only debt we have at all is 1 vehicle loan (we have two cars, mine is paid off, we couldn't sell one because he's only deployed for three months and we both need a vehicle for work/ school) and student loans.

Thanks for the advice girls. I decided my main savings ideas are going to be staying home! Or going to places that are free, like playdates with friends and zoos and museums that we already have memberships to. I'm always so tempted to eat out because it's not too expensive being just my little one and me, but it still adds up! Thanks!
    Anonymous

• I would skip that airline ticket for this year.

Here are some great tips for saving at the grocery store: http://www.ehow.com/how_5223945_save-even-money-grocery-store.html

Send me a messageofflist if you would like some heathy, family and budget friendly recipes.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:23 AM on Oct. 15, 2009

• I know what you mean. My DH made over six figures last year. It seems like the more money we have the more we spend. Well things are a lot different this year. We don't eat out as much anymore. Just cut back on things you don't need. I always start taking things out of the cart when I get close to the register. LOL. Best Wishes and hang in there. I know it's hard to do this all on your own.
    Anonymous